Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Just Finnished BPV Testing.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Finnished BPV Testing.

Well ages ago i replaced my original BPV with a Turbo5 Bosch unit, and generally worked ok.
Then I decided to go for a Aluminium type one, and like most people just went bought the Flavour of the month one which was a bailey valve.
Well last time i went to the drag strip and pulled 13.0 @108mph, I experienced sever bogging on the 1-2 second gear change, and stopped me posting a 12sec 1/4 mile.
Once I got back home, then started to investigate why i was getting the bogging.
Well I discovered the Bailey valve piston was stuck.
Hmmm pulled it apart, and the O-ring Seal was severely FU@#$%!
Well I thought this is utter Bull crap for a "performance product".
So I stated looking other Brands, The Next one I looked at was the two type of forge Valve.
The most popular one also uses a O-ring.
So No Thanks.
All O-Ringed BPV will fail and must be sericed often i have found out.
They will also fail more quickly if you have disconnected your Crank Case Breather, as oil vapour does help lubricate the o-ring.
So then I trialed the Forge diaphram one and that seemed to work okay, but i am not sure of the longevity of the diaphram.
Then I looked at Turbo-Xs, these valves are just to big and chose not skip it.
The Next one I found was a locally made valve from GoFastBits also known as GFB.
Pulled one of those apart, and they actually use a Brass piston, which does not expand under heat when you valve warms up, (They all do with hot turbo air flowing through them and aluminium piston valve will get jammed), The Sealing Mechanism is based on a Hard Plastic type of seat, when the piston rests against, so no soft o-ring to stuff up, The Valve also has a adjustable tension screw.
So I contacted GFB and trialled some valves, I found a simple modification to the BPV (GFB will soon be doing it to all Audi Valves) work exceptionally well. And considering the price the Vlave is i belive it is the best value for money valve and should last the longest.
I bet there are many cars out there that people have purchased O-ringed valves that after 6 months or so will all be most certainly leaking and possible have stuck Pistons in them.
Highly recomend for you all to look at the GFB valve. (The new Modded one!)
Old 06-04-2002, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did you already get your new spring?

thanks for forwarding them my e-mail. they contacted me and said that it won't be out for another 3 weeks. I'd really like to try it out...
Old 06-04-2002, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Are they going to have a working website sometime soon?

Or maybe my URL is busted.... Sounds like something I would like to test
Old 06-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I am testing a new o-ring lubricant

It is made by parker, the product name is "Super O Lube" It is made out of some synthetic silicon based compund that is good up to 400 degrees F. Standard grease that was shipped with my forge valve would just melt and ooze out of the valve after a while, causing the o-ring to sieze. This stuff seems to work much better and I will post results as more time passes. I am also trying to find an upgrade to the stock pair of o-rings in the forge valve and replace them with a higher temp "Viton" pair of o-rings but finding metric o-ring sizes on the shelf in US stores is a little difficult. I need 2mm thickness by 48mm ID. Will post findings if I come up with anything.

-Brent
Old 06-04-2002, 08:13 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nice...similiar experiences...

I too went to Bailey and it started sticking open, and requiring lubrication every 500 miles or so.

I have gone through a couple of Bosch valves, and I am generally displeased enough that I have an order in got a greddy-S BOV that I will be tossing in my car in a BPV configuration.

I know Juan Mendoza has been trying out an Aussie WRX market BPV that has a similar construction to what you are describing, it has a brass spike that went into a plastic/teflon seat. He found an issue with it after a few miles, and is talking to the company about it I believe.

But as I said, I look forward to hearing what your impressions are of the GFB
Old 06-04-2002, 08:30 AM

To bad you passed on Turbo XS as it is brass pistoned, directional, O ringless, & adjustable.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:09 AM

Default But it does not have an adjustment on the top for when you add a fmic.

I found the TurboXS to leak when I added my FMIC since the pressure is then lower on the top of the piston. This causes the valve to stay open at part throttle and wont fully close till 0 boost is hit in the manifold. I hated this because it made the boost pause and did not give the car a quick throttle response. That is why I went back to the upgraded bosch valve from EVO.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:12 AM

Default What happen to the bosch valves you were using?

And he valve juan has is the same as lucas has. We will be running that valve or the other valve they make in my new 2.0.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:13 PM

I run Bosch 110s on my 2.7T also. XS was great on the 225 TT.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:47 PM

Default IIRC they have had one for a while

i remember seeing it about a year or so ago
do a search for "go fast bits"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Finnished BPV Testing.