Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Koni adjustable shocks/coilovers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni adjustable shocks/coilovers....

I'm not too familiar with the install and how everything goes together in there, but would it be possible to take it to a shop and have them cut a few minor holes in the body so that they don't have to be removed to adjust them? That way if I just wanted to swap springs out I wouldn't have to remove everything.

I thought I remember someone saying there is something different about the way the fronts and rears are adjusted. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Curious because a Stasis kit is most likely going to find it's way on my car in the future. I'm going to be attempting a suspension install for the first time.

Thanks for any info.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:11 PM

Default You can't with standard Koni coilovers

Rebound can only be adjusted when the shock is fully compressed. That's only possible with the shocks off the car.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you know if the Stasis kit is the same way?....

We talked about a **** adjustment, but I forgot to ask him about this. So I'm assuming that the way you adjust is possibly different than the normal Koni's...just a guess?
Old 03-05-2002, 07:49 PM

Default I don't know about the Stasis kit

From the pictures it seems like they're externally adjustable since the rear shock mount has a adjustment slot in it. You'd have to call Stasis to ask them.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:16 AM

Default Stasis coilover adjustment....

In the rear, the Stasis Koni shocks have a slot adjustment near the top. If you grind/mill a slot in your upper shock housing, you can adjust them without removal.

In the front, however, you need to disconnect the shock piston from the upper mount, fully compress it, then turn it for adjustment. Kind of a pain while on the car.

Don't expect to be able to swap springs without total removal. There isn't a single kit out there capable of this.

Also, if you consult with Paul@Stasis about your application (or desire) for this suspension, then I'm sure you'll nail the spring rate the first time. He'll also dial in the valving for your selected spring rate, which in almost all cases, you will not need to readjust. You will be very happy with them.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the info....

I have been on the phone with Paul twice in this past week. He pretty much broadened my thinking on suspension. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I definately learned a lot. I just get so caught up on one thing that I forget to ask him some questions on my mental checklist=P

Did you grind a hole in the rear for yours? If so do you have any photos?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Yes, and no.

While Sharon and I were running the former Vortrag Coilovers on our S4's, we never did grind a slot for shock adjustment. Didn't really need it, the valving was great for all situations.

I've sold my S4 (should be picked up tomorrow), and now we run double adjustable Koni 3012's on Sharon's car. We did grind a slot in the rear for making rebound adjustments. We use it frequently, cause we need to optimize the setup for each race we attend.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 06:00 PM
SKS

Default If you went with the old twin tube hyd. like the Koni 8212, yes you

can make them adj. for both bump and rebound with out removing them from the car. My A4 has this feature. Slots in the back that has been around a couple of years now, and holes up through the top of the front shock towers. The fronts can be adj. on top by making a tool out of a T-handle allen wrench, by heating it and putting a 1/2" 90 degree bend on the end. All of these dampers are for the most part antique technology now, but are a vast improvement over the stock junk. The new Penskes are nice, but Ohlins is boss...for the moment. This stuff is a something else. What ever you get make them give you a dyno sheet with them, you can learn to read these, it really gets interesting.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, they said they include a dyno sheet with all their dampers....

Ohlins is GOD of motorcycle shocks right now. I haven't seen too many cars running them, on the street anyway, but I'm sure they cost an arm and leg anyway.