Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Koni vs Bilstein...experienced input kindly requested.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni vs Bilstein...experienced input kindly requested.

Koni's philosophy is supposedly very strong rebound damping. I don't know about Bilstein. Has anyone had both and used them in daily driving environments where performance and comfort over rough terraign (read pothole city and secondary roads) are the priority over slot car grins on smooth turns? I would love to get your opinion.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:47 AM
JWG

Default I doubt that anyone has used both K's & B's, but . . .

as a B5 A4 owner with Koni C/O's, I agree with your statement that Koni's have strong rebound dampening. However, as Koni's adjustable shocks have up to eight turns of rebound dampening adjustment, you may go from near stock rebound dampening to rock hard. I run one turn (12.5%) rebound dampening, and its still rather comfortable.

As a 500-1000 mile per week commuter who regularly drives on some of the worst streets in Downtown Los Angeles (read: memorize streets to avoid bottoming out on bus ruts), I also require comfort. For this reason, I went with a Koni C/O system over others. At minimum settings, it does not feel much harsher than stock when cruising; yet, it will still put a smile on your face when driving canyons and taking fast turns.

The draw back with Koni's arises from its strength: as Koni's have infinite height and substanial dampening adjustability, you need to know exactly how you want to adust dampening prior to doing so--you will find that you nearly need to uninstall them to adjust dampening! With height, you just need to make sure that you keep all four "legs of the table" on the floor to prevent instability in the suspension.

Alternatively, the Bilsteins have only height adjustment and no dampening adjustment.

At the end of the day, I think that most performance oriented persons prefer Bilsteins over Koni's, and vice-versa for commuters.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think this thread might help, at least a little...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/212211.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/212211.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-09-2004, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is some advice I've heard/gotten...

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/482953.phtml">here</a>
and
<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1954923.phtml">here</a>

I'm running Konis (used to have non-sport susp.) and I'm very happy with the ride. It feels virtually the same as my friend's stock BMW 330i sport suspension...perhaps a hair firmer at times.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Banned

Default I like my Bilstein's the front struts are very thick and look very durable. However,

yes they do make for a harsh ride. Almost as bad as riding on broken struts lol. But like the second link said they decreas body roll. So if your looking for the best sport suspension probably Bilstein for durability and stiffness. But if you want to lower the car for looks then go with the koni's.