Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Koni's or Bilstien Sport Shocks for Eibach Pro-Kit on '97 1.8TQ? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni's or Bilstien Sport Shocks for Eibach Pro-Kit on '97 1.8TQ? Why?
Old 01-14-2001, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I went with the Koni's and Eibach PKs on my 99.5 1.8tQ. Why? (m)

Frankly because APR told me to. I don't know a great deal about matching shocks and springs (okay, I know nothing) and when I spoke to the guys at APR it was their opinion that the Koni's matched better with the Eibachs, and the Bilsteins with the H&R sports. Like I said, this was my whole reasoning and logic behind the choice. I took their word for it, because the kits were the exact same price, so they didn't really stand to gain from mismatching the kits intentionally. When I asked, they told me that the Koni/Eibach setup was the stiffer of the two packages.

To add my 2 cents, I just thought I would let you know that after driving on this setup since last May, I've concluded that the Eibachs are too low/soft. My car bottoms-out way too much on the roads here in CO. What really kills me are the frost dips in the freeway at high speeds. Though the elevation chance in the road surface is not great, some are sharp enough that my car seems to "belly flop" on some of them. It's very disconcerting. As soon as the mod fund recharges, I plan on a)ditching the Eibachs for the Vortrag/Hypercos b)putting the Konis on a stiffer setting, and c)changing the bumpstops to hopefully alleviate some of the unwanted adventure that comes from driving a lowered car in CO. I hope this all helps you a little bit.

B