Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Losing the daily driver,... =(

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing the daily driver,... =(

It looks like my happy (reliable & drivable) Neuspeed chipped automatic Jetta 1.8T is going to my sister for good. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the A4.

Should I sell it as a whole? Or take it apart & sell the parts? Trying to be cost effective obviously. Time is not on my side.

I will still try to finish the car for H20fest & the 1.8T contest. I pray that the final car fully tuned will be realiable & driveable. But if not,... I will need a daily driver.

Which leads to the second problem - what should I get in place of the A4?

I'm considering between:
#1 - infinity g35 coupe
#2 - A4 1.8T Cabriolet
#3 - detune the current A4 & sell off parts,...

Thanks for the advice/suggestions in advance!

Steve
Old 06-20-2003, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hate to say it - G35 6MT coupe

I was drooling over it when I bought my wife the I35 a coupla months ago. That is a really nice ride. 280HP, stock brembos, all the toys. Reviews say it is a better 350z than the 350z...

As much as I would say to keep your A4, I do not think you would be happy with the A4 back to a near-stock form. Or at least I would not - I would want summin different - tho I would prolly stay german - Audi if possible.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:37 AM

Default dont part it out! get another car!

but if you do part it, dibs on that beautiful manifold!

;p
Old 06-20-2003, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'd make more money parting it out....

but it's a lot of hassle to try and turn it back into stock and you'd hate driving it.

BTW, didn't you have a chip program that used a Ford MAF? Do you still have it?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Yes I do,... BUT

Hey John,

The GIAC chip was made for the Ford MAF I have. But one BIG reason why I'm going with the stand alone EMS is because the car doesn't idle well.

The last A4, my mechanic spent countless hours fine tuning it. It ran wonderfully and even idled, until I total lossed it. Of course there would still be times that I let off the gas and it would just instantly stall,...

But with A4 #3 (T04), it doesn't want to idle. Yes the chip was made for the previous car, but the only difference with A4#2 (t3/t4) & this one is the equal length headers and the turbo. I can't see either of these affecting the idle much at all.

So in conclusion, I'm sure it's possible to get the car to idle with tinkering around with the Apex AFC (fuel controller) settings. That's how we solved the problem. But the Ford MAF is a great idea, but it won't ever idle perfectly. I've come to grips with that.

IF you're still interested and you don't mind sacrificing your idle, then I'll ask the guy I'm selling it to and see what he says. He intended to take my injectors, MAF, AFC & GIAC software for $1050. I just felt sorry for him since his t3/t4 doesn't run right. But he wants it to idle, and I already told him that it doesn't do it consistently,...

And thanks for the advice!

Steve
Old 06-20-2003, 10:54 AM

You can hold me to that! =)
Old 06-20-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Hmm,..

I do want to stay German with the new A4 cabriolet. It's SOOO nice IMO, but just pricy. As everyone knows, investing in cars is a SURE loss due to depreciation. I'm not sure how much fun it would be to drive a 150hp car w/ a chip,... same issue I have in converting the A4 back to stock form and keeping it that way.

That's why the G35 coupe came to mind. I'll miss the Quattro though,... I just want something decently fun that's RELIABLE. I'm just getting mad with car downtime and unreliability. Any other suggestions???

Cheers!,

Steve
Old 06-20-2003, 11:50 AM

How about just drop it off at my front door..I'll take it!!! lol
Old 06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How about a used S4 w/ a chip - over 300HP, quattro, and familiar car...
Old 06-20-2003, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

YGM

Quick Reply: Losing the daily driver,... =(