Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Lots of Info on Chips, lots of questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of Info on Chips, lots of questions.....

IF anyone cal help to fill out any missing information please email me @ bster13@yahoo.com. I'm looking to buy a chip soon. Thx!

Pricing for Tuned ECU chips on VWGolf IV 1.8t

Upsolute

Horsepower-> 192hp
Torque-> torque 270nm (199.1150442477876 ft. lbs if my conversion was correct)
Price-> $300 for tuning, $70 for install
Misc.-> Socketed- they give u new chip and old EPROM back

Neuspeed

Horsepower->200hp (GreedSpeed quoted)
Torque->245 torque (GreedSpeed quoted)
Price->$299 (GreedSpeed quoted)
Misc.-> conflicting info. with Neuspeed site.

Horsepower->+30hp (Neupeed quoted)
Torque->225 torque (Neupeed quoted from tech. support phone call.)
Price->$349 (Neupeed quoted)
Misc.->I called their tech. support line and they said GreedSpeed is quoting the max gains, they said their quotes are conservative, so expect somewhere in between the two. Not sure if socketed or soldered.

APR

Horsepower->196 Horsepower
Torque-> 240 Ft. Lbs. of torque.
Price->$499 for chip, EMCS- for two programs (stock, chipped) $149 extra.
Misc. -> 1.0 Bar chip, Lifetime free upgrades to software, chip is soldered on, not socketed, $500 Discount towards the purchase of Stage III

TAP

Horsepower-> +40 hp
Torque->+44 ft lbs.
Price-> $595.00
Misc. -> Beginning Monday, February 9th you can get the Stage 1 chip and DTM filter for only $475 plus shipping and handling. (this is the pricing for the a4 1.8t chip, I have written Tap for an update as to whether they have a 1.8t golf chip yet.) Not sure if this socketed or soldered.

Giac/Garrett

Horsepower-> +47 HP over stock
Torque-> ?
Price-> $400 for 1-bar (average) chip, $20 for upgrades to other versions.
Misc. -> Socketed- tuned EPROM on daughter board (encryption) and another straight thru socket for orig. ECU. Not sure if this price includes extra ECU or not.

MTM

(Closest thing I could find is for Passat 1.8t.)

Horsepower->187 hp
Torque-> Maximum torque: 236 lbs. ft. @ 3000
Price->$ 595
Misc.-> Not sure if soldered or socketed. (Stage 2 just adds muffler)

Wett/Wetterauer

Horsepower-> 190 HP
Torque->193 ft/lbs
Price->$495
Misc.-> "All Wetterauer chips are mounted on removable modules which plug into your vehicle's ECU securely via our custom manufactured gold plated connectors. We also return your stock chip to you on a stock module which gives you the flexibility to re-install your stock chip by yourself."

If anyone can give me additional information that would be great....choosing which chip is right is such a pain! haha...thx.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:56 AM

Default From my '01 A4 perspective...

...I really appreciate my APR EMCS.

It seems most of the 1.0 bar chips offer similar performance which is defined by the limits of the K03, at WOT you get a huge torque peak at about 3500 RPM which decays as you head toward redline. Once you get used to this characteristic which is similar for all the chip manufacturers, choice comes down to features and drivability.

I find the APR performs just like stock except at higher throttle positions there is more boost and torque. I run 93 octane fuel and have never experienced anything like pinging or misbehaving of the engine (except a part throttle first and second gear hesitation at about 2500 RPM, but this occurs stock too - rumor is it is a Motronic code issue, maybe related to VVT management).

The EMCS is nice because it lets me very simply deliver a stock program car to the dealer for service and if I need to, a stock power car to another driver.

For some owners having local support for the chip is very important, so you should consider your needs and the value of local availability as part of your decision. For instance, if something happens to the chipped ECU, are you willing to wait for 2 way shipping or buy a spare ECU? Are you able to install and maintain this yourself or do you need help?
Old 04-04-2001, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: From my '01 A4 perspective...

Thanks WClark, I like the usability of that feature also, but $650 for the setup seems like it is on the high end of chip tuning. I was wonderinf about the Upsolute 0.8bar chip, some other boards have been saying that the 0.8bar chip could take the 1.0bar if u had been running both cars for awhile since the 1.0bar will run the turbo/intercooler hotter and the 0.8bar will keep it in efficient operating temps. longer thus giving more real world power/speed at a given time. What do u think?
Old 04-05-2001, 05:07 AM

Default .8 vs 1.0 and heat

Certainly the added boost and lower effeciency of the K03 at higher boost levels will contribute to more heat production.

The real question is will the lower boost profile of the .8 bar result in a significantly lower charge air temp at the intake manifold than 1.0 bar? And how significant does that difference have to be before .8 produces as much net power as 1.0?

I dont have any hard data either way, but it is a good question.
Old 04-06-2001, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Lots of Info on Chips, lots of questions.....

to correct the above regarding UPsolute.

there is a difference in output between engines. the gains are higher on AWD,AWW and AWM(2001.5 passat) engines. we are getting 214hp on the later two as posted on the vortex.

we us soldered not socketed as you may recall in a few threads posted here by 16V and dingester. here in the US the cost for install is free if done on site or $25 for return shipping if the ECU is mailed in.

and lastly, we are running 0.8 bar and getting 1.0bar performance.

we also have a few UPsoluted Audi's flying around but will not release to the public yet but soon hopefully.

please do not take this as a plug but as info.

thank you
Old 04-07-2001, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: .8 vs 1.0 and heat and S4 test drive

definitely a good questions......that's why I asked! DOH! haha.......I wonder if anyone else has the time to burn up and down with a 0.8 bar and 1.0 bar chip and see what happens.....BTW I test drove an S4 yesterday with my buddies, the sales rep let each of us drive, I tried to heat soak the turbos on the back roads to see if it was possible, I shifted down into second gear @ 40mph and dropped the clutch a bunch of time around backroads and such and I couldn't do it.....pleasantly defeated...hehe