Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Modeling and/or modifying B5 suspension geometry

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeling and/or modifying B5 suspension geometry

After taking a break from motorsports for several years in order to focus my attention on my career and family, I find the "need for speed" has recently returned.

While I've ruled out wheel-to-wheel racing for both financial and safety reasons, I have started to prepare my '99.5 A4 for open-track and autocross use, and am now curious as to how much, if at all, the stock suspension geometry can be improved. Has anybody modeled it on a computer or played around with repositioning the various pickup points?

I have a reasonable budget available as well as a fair amount of experience in this area, but so far I'm finding it difficult to wrap my mind around the multi-link design that Audi used on the front end. Before I lay out the money for a new software program that can accomodate Audi's design (my decade-old, DOS-based program can't), I figured I'd ask around and find out what others are doing in this regard. Six months of driving the car back-and-forth to work has made it clear that while there's a decent amount of grip, it can definitely use some help in the handling department!

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I believe you'd be the first on this forum, as the Mazdaspeed series doens't allow geometry changes

otherwise, I'd say talk to Paul from Stasis, their driver in the series. Also try the guys from CPP, who manufacture replacement billet aluminum control arms and other links.

Most importantly - KEEP US UPDATED! =)
Old 07-08-2004, 06:23 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the best bet would be the buy the adjustable upper links

i forget who sells them, maybe ECS or awe-tuning. That would allow you to adjust camber, etc. Next to that playing with the stiffness on swaybars I think would be the next best **** to turn.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default link inside

<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&amp;PMoI=1&amp;PEI=2&amp;PP =a4_18t_suspension.cfm&amp;PPT=Suspension&amp;IL=C PPAdjust">Adjustable Control Arms</a></li></ul>
Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Max caster

Put the wheel as far forward as you can get it....call Dave @ CPP...or Don Istook at Istook Motorsports...you can also try to get Paul at StaSIS to divy out a secret or two. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

Default Couples others to pick from..

Check with Greg at Neuspeed, and TC Kline at TC Kline racing. Together they help set up the A4 BTCC car that Neuspeed owns. I'm sure they learned some very interesting things on the suspension.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually the B5 setup is almost perfect....

The multi-link setup was designed to reduce camber change through the travel of the suspension. For hardcore track events, there are already pre-drilled holes in the sub-frame to relocate the mounting position of the front lower control arms to induce heavy negative camber on the front wheels. Although I havent used them yet, they are there.

The only thing that really sucks about this Audi/VW setup is the need for new upper links to fine tune camber. There really are no adjustments and the only thing that can be done is shifting the subframe to evenly proportion camber adjustments.