Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

MY B6 NEEDS TO BE FASTER!!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY B6 NEEDS TO BE FASTER!!!! help

ive got APR 1+, Thermal RD exhaust Evo intake with a custom "ram air" pipe. Forge BPV. What else can i do to get some good power? (aside from a turbo kit) thinkin FMIC? what type of gains should i expect? thanks alot
Old 06-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Elder Member

Default NO gains are made with a FMIC other then being able to hold more adv timing.

But it is more about being able to keep the power you make all the time.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Grab some MTM or O.CT programming ;) J/K...

If you don't want to switch your programming I'd hit a fmic ala AMS ($795) or call eric at SPP. The other option is the dual SMICs used by MTM in their race applications (you can get the kit from greedspeed, but you'd probably save a bunch of cash just hunting down the audi part numbers for each part and buy them yourself). After the IC i'd throw some high octane (98 or so) in the car ala race fuel or toluene just to see the difference. It was 98 degrees here today so i threw in a 30% mix of toluene and this car felt like a completely different beast. Timing/boost retard seemed to disappear. Really put a smile back on my face. Another cheap option for a small boost in hp is relocating a cheap random tech universal hi-flow cat under the car. The one they make for our cars application is a piece of crap (retains location right behind the turbo and still has only 2" inlets and outlets) but they have bigger ones that could be welded in underneath the car. Cheers! Mike
Old 06-25-2004, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree, but everybody always seems to harp on saying a FMIC doesnt make gains...

I dont understand that. We dont tell people that adding an aftermarket exhaust won't create gains if they see more horsepower (in essence, though, they are still just making horsepower with an aftermarket exhaust that the factory exhaust was robbing). I see it the same way with intercoolers. The factory intercooler keeps the engine from produsing horsepower and adding a FMIC allows gains in power. Just like running NOS or higher octane would. I say if you add a part that allows your car to make more power than it ADDS power. Your thoughts?? I know you've done ALOT with audi tuning and was just wondering it my thinking is flawed here. Cheers! Mike
Old 06-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Elder Member

Default Not really true since you cant gain something you dont have with a stock exhust

without changing it. With the stock SMIC the power is there it just wont last as long since it gets heatsoaked. So when you go to a FMIC you just keep the hp you were making at the start and not losing it as you push the car longer.

So the only way your going to "GAIN" more power adding the fmic is to actually tune it for more adv timing with the lower IAT's you get.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fair enough. Didn't you used to be "CMH" back in my B5 days?...

or was that another pelican guy. I had a pelican b5 and i miss that color. I had to go with black this time since the only other cool color still available is nagaro at an extra 2grand Cheers! Mike
Old 06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He was CMH. Speaking of which, I ran into Clark Turner the other day...

on the Subaru boards. Brought up a little Audi past with him which he didn't find very amusing
Old 06-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Elder Member

Still am CMH = )
Old 06-26-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: He says he's got a aftermarket chip though....

I'm sure the chip runs more timing then the stock software also. It also I am sure runs more boost(psi) so whenever you compress more air you also create heat from that. A FMIC or a more effective unit would seem to lower the IAT's which would then make the air more dense also creating more power.

But lets assume stock smic and apr chip and its 100 degree's out, how long do you think all his timing would be there before the ECU pulls it back on a WOT run?

It couldnt be more then a couple gears max, and on a long WOT in 4th or 5th gear pull, good luck. Someones gotta have logs.

I'd say not
Old 06-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Elder Member

Default You work for a shop and you actually think a after market chip making more boost

is going to have more adv timing then a stock chip making low boost? Now I see the problem at hand over there.

Remember a stock chip runs richer, lower boost which means its going to have much lower IAT's then a after market chip running 1-1.4 bar of boost. This means the tuner will have to retard the adv timing for this.

Quick Reply: MY B6 NEEDS TO BE FASTER!!!! help