Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Need help with clutch for MY2000, even after STFA this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with clutch for MY2000, even after STFA this weekend!

Hey guys,

I spent some quality time with the Audiworld "Search" function this weekend, but still want some input before I proceed.

My stock clutch is on its way out after only 88,000 miles, so I want to replace it with something with higher clamping force. My driving style is easy on clutches, so I think the power is just too high for the stocker. Currently my car is stage 2 - GIAC chip and APR exhaust, though I may go the K04 route eventually (probably not stage 3..) While I'm in there, I'd like to go with a lighter flywheel too.

I'm leaning strongly towards the AWE stage 2 clutch (Southbend,) and 12 pound flywheel. I drove this setup briefly and liked its drivability, and I've had good experiences working with AWE in the past.

Am I going the right way for my car and model year? I know that Spec and WOA are both well regarded here, but I've seen some concern expressed about the Spec+flywheel setup for MY2000 (I wasn't able to find out what the issue was though.)

Last question: assuming the Southbend route, do you recommend working with AWE, or with Southbend directly? Are the products identical?

Many thanks,
Old 03-29-2004, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt buy a SPEC for an enemy, total crap if you are making any power at ALL!
Old 03-29-2004, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I got a AWE stage II clutch that I'm running with the stock flywheel...

I love it.. Stock feel, only 500 bucks on sale for the clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool, throw out bearing and shaft bearing. As far as I can tell AWE and sotuhbend sell the same exact set-up. Even when I got the clutch from AWE it had the south bend DXD sticker on the pressure plate.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1929730.phtml">I even installed it myself (I love post whoring this)</a></li></ul>
Old 03-29-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Wow, amazing writeup! Unfortunately, there's no way I'm attempting this install myself...

Someday, when I have time and shop space, I'd love to attempt this install, but I'm not there now :-(

Thanks for the input AB!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:33 AM

Default I know there's no such thing as a consensus around here...

...but most of the feedback I read on Spec clutches was pretty positive. Granted, my searches were more extensive on the Southbend stuff.

Your opinion supports the AWE route I'm leaning toward, but what's wrong with Spec??

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

good call.. I didn't really use any "special" tools, but it took me 20 hours or so
Old 03-29-2004, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doug you can try my car out if you want to feel a SPEC with LW flywheel

but I think the AWE setup will be very good, and they have great customer service as you mentioned. I have some small issues with my setup, but nothing terrible.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:14 PM

Default I have a WOA 2+ for sale...

It has like 3,000 miles on it. Barely even used. After I broke it in, the clutch came out for the new dual clutch. It's a WOA Stage 2+ clutch. If you want it shoot me an email..
Old 03-29-2004, 06:09 PM

Default Does Guinness suit you?? YGM...

I'd love to try your car again -- I'm afraid that all that S3 pow-ahh might taint my opinion, but I'm willing to take that risk if you can spare the time! YGM...
Old 03-29-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Your car is amazing to look at...

Your sig pic might be the single best photo I've seen of a B5 - Those photos are fantastic. I love the Angstrom wheels in the link too.

I don't ~think~ I'm heading the WOA route, but appreciate the offer and I'll keep it in mind if I head that way.

Quick Reply: Need help with clutch for MY2000, even after STFA this weekend!