Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Newly installed Magnaflow Mufflers

Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly installed Magnaflow Mufflers

So I recently had a local shop that is well known for many years for doing great custom work on all types of cars. My set up that they did is a deleted resonator with x-pipe muffler to the Magnaflow mufflers(the straight through design mufflers from Magnaflow).

My issue is that the drone noise inside the car is very bad. I understand that is normal for aftermarket exhausts but it is very bad. What can be done to reduce this noise? I am being told that perhaps adding a silencer in the muffler tip, which I doubt will work and not to mention will look like crap. Add resonators, add a reducer or simply swap out the straight through design mufflers for a baffled design.

So those are the options from the shop. I was thinking, add the resonators and delete the muffler. He doesn't recommend that because he says louder exhaust=more drone.

So I'm kind of at loss for what to do and let him do because I did mention that the last thing I wanted was a lot of drone. I don't want a high end car to sound like a frigging Honda Civic.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Magnaflow mufflers

I saw this post with no replies. I am fighting the same issue. I wanted a bit more noise from the exhaust so I did muffler delete only. Too loud and droning at certain rpms is bothersome. So I have Magnaflow straight through mufflers that I am installing in a couple of days. I still have the factory resonator. I spoke to the tech people at Magnaflow and what I bought was what I am installing. I will let you know how they turn out.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I wanted to let you know that I removed the Magnaflow mufflers after one day. They still drone as if there is a bass guitarist in the trunk holding a certain note. It is most prevalent around the 2000 RPM area. This is where my A6 seems to live. Daily driving it will usually shift at about 1700 to 2100 RPMs and also around 70 to 80 MPS it's turning about 1800-2000 RPMs. So the droning was almost always there. I put the stock mufflers back on the car.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Exhaust sound engineering is something folks invest a lot of time and money in. If you want an exhaust system with a refined sound with little drone look into various fully designed cat-back systems vs. bolting on a couple of after market mufflers. I have equipped many of my cars and you pretty much get what you pay for. A full resonated catback like a Miltek system is going to give you the refined sound you are looking for.