Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

next question.. headgasket blew last summer, I notice oil with the coolant today.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next question.. headgasket blew last summer, I notice oil with the coolant today.....

Well.. I am in the process of changing the oil pressure sensors on my coupe quattro which means I had to take the intake manifold off and some hoses including the crank case breather hose.

I can't remember right now but I believe when I removed one of the lower hoses left over coolant spashed out. ( did a crappy job removing it before I got started, ended up being a good thing thought). Well Oil was on the floor I noticed a bit later.. But it wasn't milkly. it was just there.. little puddle of oil mixed in with the coolant.

Basically this post is about this:

I am thinking of taking my compressor and blowing air through the head port for the coolant and watch what comes outs. Would this be wise?

I am preity positive the head gasket is not blown. I know I was running low compression because of a faulty oil pressure switch. But any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: next question.. headgasket blew last summer, I notice oil with the coolant today.....

If you pressurize the cooling system with your compressor, set the outlet pressure low about 15ps.

I would also check the oil cooler. Its sandwiched between the oil filter and the filter mount. Just remove the oil filter when you pressurize the cooling system. If anything comes out the oil side of the cooler...its bad.

Goodluck.