Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Ok everyone, my car was pinging this morning (racing w/...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 06:46 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok everyone, my car was pinging this morning (racing w/...

an Eclipse)please help. I know everyone is gonna beat on me about the injectors. What to do?
Ps. This is the first time it happens after the kit was finished.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:16 AM
4kq

Default ROTFL, this is a high static compression engine...

If you are not very careful about the octane (that is why it pings, not lean; lean will just melt the pistons and burn the valves), you will damage the motor.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not exactly...

...if you are at all lean, it will ping. Obviously, the extra O2 in the mix isn't good for aluminum but that is the end result of running for a longer period of time with a lean mixture.

Mau, what injectors and programming are you running? Any idea what your O2 sensor (pre cat) were when this happened?

Please post some more details so we can help.

Mike O.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:33 PM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mike, what do you mean by where my O2 were when it happened...

I don't understand, the temperature? I don'have a cat. O2 sensors are connected to it ...I'm running an ATP chip w/ 310cc injectors. I really need some help on this.

Thanks,
Mau
Old 04-02-2002, 02:12 PM

Default He's talking about the O2 voltage. It tells if you're running lean

Do you have VAGCOM? You want to log block 43. It tells you your RPM, Precat O2 Temp, Precat O2 Voltage. You want the voltage to be above .83.

AFAIK the ATP kit uses injectors at least in hte 400cc range. Last time I told you your injectors were too small you got nasty on me. I'm just trying to help you. Datalog that block to see if you're running lean.

Running lean will cause the combustion get really hot and amplifly the hot spots in the cylinders and help detonation. Also running cooler plugs will alleviate that as well.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:15 PM
4kq

Default I disagree

Sure, if he is running really lean (at WOT, since the O2 sensors would cut it back otherwise), the chamber could get so hot that it pre-ignites. But by running that lean, for ANY length of time, would literally melt down the engine. These are cast pistons. (The fuel also acts to cool the combustion chamber past stoi.)

On the other hand, an agressive timing map will induce ping/knock regardless of the fuel flow. This engine seems remarkably resistant to this kind of damage.

It would be easy and entertaining to test. Run full-throttle in 3rd and see if she blows (lean). Tip the throttle back slowly and if it stops pinging at a set pedal position it is the timing/octane.

Or, if you are not so adventurous you can pull out a plug and see if the metal is discolored. Or, run a cheap O2 disco light.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:24 PM

Default Re: I disagree

I kinda think running a T3/T4 on 310s @1.4bar would get you to the really lean range. I'm just speculating. He should log the O2 voltage or look at the plugs like you said.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:29 PM
CMH

Default The injectors are too small. I am pretty sure ATP uses something in the 500's.

I also told him the injectors are too small. He should start with a 440 or 510 injector. But he can also just ask smokingA4turbo since he has the ATP kit on his car.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:56 PM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey I REALLY appreciate all the help. If I got nasty with anyone about injectors...

was because the car did run good...(until today =(

Can I just change injectors without adjusting the chip with it?? Will a FPR help with the 310cc now?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:57 PM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't have one but a good friend works at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Ok everyone, my car was pinging this morning (racing w/...