Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Ok folks. Still need your help please!!!! I have narrowed the clunking noise down to the area...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ok folks. Still need your help please!!!! I have narrowed the clunking noise down to the area...

Of the transmission or bottom rear of the engine area. The noise is a dull clunking noise that can occasionally become a higher pitched metal on metal clanking noise.

It IS RPM depenent and occurs during the first 10 seconds of starting the car. It does not always occur. Now for the update. SOMETIMES I can get the noise to stop and start back up again by pressing in the clutch. Mind you that this noise is SEPERATE from the usual clutch chatter that I can ALWAYS get to start and stop by depressing the clutch.

I can also feel a vibration in the clutch pedal that coincides with the noise. My fear is that the noise is still the cam tensioner, but I am thinking it is some kind of loose clutch component, but do you guys know what would make that noise and what noise would only sometimes respond to pressing in the clutch.

As I said, sometimes it will keep on clanking and other times it will stop/start by pressing the clutch. Please help a poor fella out. Thanks a bunch guys. Cheers! Mike
Old 08-11-2004, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe the solinoid on your starter is going bad.....

or the pinion gear/ring gear is damaged.