Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

OK, stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, stupid question

This is my first Audi.

I keep hearing references to the front control arms wearing out or failing on A4's. Is this just an issue on early model cars or is it a cuurent problem?

BTW

what the hell is the problem exaclty?
Damn 4-link!! =;P
Old 12-01-2000, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OK, stupid question

It seems the bushings wear out..since they're an integral part of the control arm they can't be replaced. The result of the bushing wear is that they tend to clunk around as they're not located properly by the worn bushings.

I'm not sure if the new cars have this issue...though I think I've heard of 2000's with problems...but who knows.

I can tell you my 2001 has been no gem...sheesh, Ohh well gotta keep the faith and pray they do right by me...2 Audis in less than 2 years they should be kissing my ***

Later,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 12-01-2000, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WTF?!? what happened whad I miss? >;{

you want the # of a good Lemon Atty.?

hehehe
Old 12-01-2000, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: WTF?!? what happened whad I miss? >;{

Ohh nothing that bad Frank...here's a list of the problems / complaints...

Coolant Leak - This one was bad...as in the car was inoperable because eventually it would have gone below the MIN line and then eventually out of coolant. Anyhow no damage occured cause it never went below MIN. What happened is there was a pinhole in this big metal pipe which brings water from the radiator to / from the head...there are several capilary connections that are welded on...well one of them was not a perfect weld and it leaked from there onto the alternator...the alternator then splattered the coolant all over making it very hard from me to find where it was coming from. Well I requested they fix the problem DUH and replace the alternator due to its exposure to the engine coolant. Well they fixed the leak but refused to replace the alternator...I'm looking for a copy of Auto Motor Und Sport (German) which has an article about a 1.8T Passat which had a similar coolant leak...it was said in the article that in such situations the alternator should always be replaced, I'll have it translated and then I'm going to shove it up the dealers ***!!!

Glove Box Rattle - They claimed it was nominal...I swear the car sounded like an F-Body Camaro over bumps. Took me about 15 mins to find out what it was...a little fuzzy Velcro and problem solved...would it have been that hard for them to do that? NO !!!

Brake Whine - This one's a real bitch...sometimes I'll touch the brake after having driven (car parked sometimes 30 mins or more) w/o the engine running and the Brake Booster will make a whine noise...which you can change the pitch of by pushing on the pedal. Sometimes when coming to a light and pushing on the pedal firmly...maybe too firmly...at that instance when you let up the pedal to brake more gradually in those last few feet you'll hear a whine sometimes. WTF is that...a leak in the Brake Booster? It's obviously a Vacum thing...or hydraulic fluid...maybe air in the lines? Anyhow they drove it and could not, "reproduce the problem" geeze that's a new line :-( I have an appt to meet with the West Coast Zone Rep on Dec 7th we'll see if I can reproduce the problem for him...I pray that I can. I want to put on some Porsche Brakes...but I'm not doing it if there is maybe something wrong with the Booster...cause if it does fail then they'll blame the aftermarket calipers ect.

Rear Pad Drag - Slight grinding noise at low speeds...but it's fairly normal, the rear pads tend to drag. So I'm not gonna push on this one as it tends to get better as the pads wear.

Cracked Radio Bezel - Picked the car up (brand new) and the bezel around the radio has a crack in it...it's tiny almost invisible...but in the right light you can see it. Well the radio is on intergallactic backorder cause Panasonic can't get their heads out of their asses to fix some problems...so Audi won't replace any radio's turns out you have to replace the radio if you crack or scratch the faceplate.

Other than that I couldn't be happier...it's gonna be a great car I'm sure, I just have a few hurdles to get over before I'm confident enough to move forward with the rest of the mods...until these issues are resolved or go away (yeah right) I'll probably hold off on any mods that would affect those things.

Later,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 12-01-2000, 10:42 PM

Default I can challenge your list unfortunately:

Coolant leak as the turbo, blown power steering pump, bad brake diveter, head unit replaced, alignment needed and 3 flat tires on a 00'.

Keep'in the faith brother!

Ken
Old 12-01-2000, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ouch...

I had some problems with my 99 as well..but they were all fixed to my satisfaction rather quickly...go Steve Taub they pretty much rock.

So what were the symptoms of the bad brake diverter valve? Improper brake pressure proportioning?

Yeah I suppose my gripes are minor...but I just want this car to be perfect as I plan to keep it for a while...I modded the crap out of my 99 and then was disappointed with the FWD performance off the line...lots of wheelspin so I sold it to get a Quattro, starting over from scratch basically...I was praying I'd get a perfect car, but alas I did not. Anyhow these are all fixable things, there can't be much more wrong with the car (knock on wood).

Good luck Ken..I hope it all works out for you.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)