Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Opinions on aftermarket springs without a soap box feel????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on aftermarket springs without a soap box feel????

what brands/preferences does anyone have? thks for ur help
timpbiturbos
Old 03-28-2001, 08:09 AM

Default I assume you mean they should feel softer than typical race setups?

The so called "progressive" spring setups normally have a softer feeling ride than "linear" (factory Audi is linear as are the official assessory sport springs from Eibach). To make this work well though the shocks need to be tuned to a progressive setup or the shock will contribute to a feeling of hardness.

In my opinion the best tuned progressives are offered as coilovers since the shock and spring are usually sold as a set from a single source. Not all coilover sets are going to work the way you want though since some are tuned for race conditions. It sounds like you would want to select from the softer end of a product line like H&R or KW which also do race coilover suspensions.

Maybe the best advice I could give is to find a local tuner who can sell and install what you want to end up with (and more importantly handle changes if what you get doesnt meet up with your expectations).
Old 03-28-2001, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Opinions on aftermarket springs without a soap box feel????

I have HR Ultra Performance coilovers and well, they're probably not what your looking for. But that doesn't mean that HR is out of the question altogether. My friend has the regulars on his S4 and they ride really nice. He gets really good handling through turns and not as much squatting/diving without the harshness that my setup has.

I believe that HR and Bilstein are affiliated becasuse....well, the coilovers have Bilstein written on the damper and the same companies that provide materials for Bilstein are also have logos on the springs=) So basically, you'd be riding on Bilstein quality dampers and springs, which is a good thing.

If your not in to the coilover thing, which may be a good idea to steer clear of because they usually do increase the stiffness more than your average aftermarket sport suspension, then you can go with sport bilstein or koni dampers and a spring of your choice. There are lots of different companies that are respectable that make spring for our cars=) These dampers matched with a sport spring should give your car a nice looking stance and improved handling without back breaking harshness.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:54 PM

Default Pro-Kit vs "official" Audi accessory springs?

Thought the were exactly the same and the Pro-Kit box says "progressive" ?