Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Opinions on Pagid Blue for street use

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Pagid Blue for street use

I've got Blues on my stoptechs but they are a little noisy at the end of easy stops. I know it's a capable autox pad but I wonder if I should be using it on the street.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Opinions on Pagid Blue for street use

I thought these are street pads. I think they're stock on the E36 M3. I personally don't like those since they have too much initial bite thus non linear modulation(digressive). I have the Axxis/Metalmaster Ultimates and love them. Very linear modulation and are rated to a higher temp than the Pagid Blues. They perform like the Porterfield R4S's except with less dust.

As for noise... if you just got those pads, did you follow stoptech's instruction to bed those in properly? The Pagid Blues should be pretty quiet on the street.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:57 AM
4kq

Default They are street pads

I love them. Overpriced, but the best all-around pad I have ever used. They do get squeeky with too light of a pedal application, just like the stock pads. Just use a firmer stop.

Now, the initial bite is exactly one of the reasons why I love these pads. They grab as well as warmed up race pads...even at -30!!! Try that with the Axxxis slidemaster. (I have, get to learn the left-foot braking just to stay alive.)

The modulation is fine for me, but I can see why some people don't care for it. If you aren't careful, you will get some eyeball popping.

The disk wear is really great. The oranges and R4 are hard on cold disks (since they are race pads). If you don't have the money for the pagids, the r4s is a superb pad, with less bite.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Elder Member

Default Well, ... not exactly.

Like you, I've used Pagid Blue on the street (but not in the winter) with my S8 and have also been very pleased; but for the record, the box does contain a red warning label --

"Rennbremsbelage"
"Keine abe fur den Strassenverkehr"

or from my rusty German,

"Racing Brake Pads"
"Not for Use on the Street"
Old 08-26-2002, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: ok so how do you guys think pagid black pads rate next to the blues? they are a street

pad but i haven't been super impressed. nice but I want to find a street pad that has some agressive bite without being really dirty. (dont care about rotor wear or noise) oem rotors cost less then pads so who cares right.

I had the metalmasters but I sold them to a guy who really needed new pads on the track.. (his old ones looked like a string of pig iron.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:06 AM
4kq

Default Never tried them, blacks are...

supposedly the same spec. as OEM. The black dust is from the carbon in the pad. Just wax the rims and it wipes off. The blues are a bit better than stock. The r4s has considerably less dust.

I would love to see a real pagid test: oem, black, sport, and blue.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:07 AM
4kq

I think it is marketing to promote the "Sports".
Old 08-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Elder Member

Default I have a chart from Pagid showing ...

friction coefficient vs temp for four compounds. In decreasing order of friction coefficient,

1. RS14 black - best high temp performance by far, high and reasonably stable friction up to 700 oC [Note: This is NOT the same as the RS4-2-1 black street compound!]

2. RS19 yellow - stable friction falling off above about 550 oC, but still reasonable at 675 oC

3. RS4-4 orange - steadily increasing friction up to 600 oC, but OK up to 700 oC

4. RS4-2 blue - very similar performance to the RS4-4, lower but OK friction up to 650 oC

The Pagid literature which included the chart came with the last set of Pagid's that I bought from Northstar Motorsports.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:01 AM
4kq

Default Excellent...

How are the cooef. curves? i.e., is the rs19 a better street pad than the blues (more friction at all temps?)
Old 08-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Elder Member

Default The chart doesn't go below 200 oC, but ...

at this temp, the RS14 was much better than either the orange or blue, which were about the same.

Also at 200 oC, the RS19 pretty much split the difference between the RS 14 black and the orange/blue. [Darn, I wish I had a scanner, a picture would be worth a 1000 words.] At 550 oC, the friction coefficient of the orange increased enough to equal the yellow.

So from the friction coefficient alone, either the black or yellow clearly outperform the orange or blue at low temps. But ... the black or yellow clearly are Pagid's top of the line race pads designed to operate at high temps, and the yellow is touted as suitable for endurance racing. These types of pad normally have extremely high rotor wear rates and are VERY noisy at low street use temperatures.

[Better than a scanner, I wish Pagid would just put the chart on their web site!]

Quick Reply: Opinions on Pagid Blue for street use