Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Planning and Preping to go big turbo...

Old 11-05-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning and Preping to go big turbo...

I am very interested in the new ATP kits that are soon to be relased. My question is this: can I buy the Walbro 255lph fuel pump and the High Flow Billet Fuel Rail from ATP now and install them on my chipped Ko3? I will not purchase the ATP kit until the summer. I want to see reactions, reviews etc. from the kit. I am currently building a custom FMIC from Ripp Mods in Staten Island. I'm trying to do everything the right way. Plus I would like the extra punch and efficiency now. Thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well dont quote me on this cause im not an expert like some of these other guys but...

im guessing it wouldnt be bad for the car. but it might provide more fuel than the engine can burn causing your car to run a little on the rich side.

someone please correct me if im wrong, this just seems like the logical scenario.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:09 PM

Default If you are going to run a 255 on a basically stock setup

You need to have an adjustable FPR or you car will not only run like ***, but smell like it too.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Typist Formerly Known as (skene)'s Avatar

Default correct... he may flow an over excessive amount and foul the spark plugs.

clog the catalytic converter and other stuff such as thicker carbon deposits on the valves etc etc etc.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:21 PM

Default I have seen this happen...

just put a 255 in acar and it went through spark plugs on a weekly basis.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Help me understand this, if you have a return system

and you get a bigger fuel pump, but keep the same FPR and injectors - why would the car get more fuel? The pressure at the fuel injector will not change since it is the same FPR and the injector itself will squirt the same amount of fuel.

The way that I see it - you will just be pumping more fuel back to the tank.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Elder Member

Default Pressure does not change, but the amount of fuel moved thru the rail does.

The pumps are rated just like your turbo, they can move so much fuel at a set pressure. A higher flow pump flows more fuel at the same pressure as your stock, this increases the amount of fuel moved thru your injectors since the pressure in the rail will also increase.

You cant say the 2 pumps will have the same pressure at the rail since one is moving more then the other and the fpr only allows so much fuel past it. Also our FPR's should be rated for a stock pump only.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sweet i was right, WOO HOO
Old 11-06-2003, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am glad you said this, I never understood this concept.

I totally understand that if a fuel pump is not connected to anything that a larger pump can flow more lph at the same PSI. Same concept as a turbo - I understand, more cfm at the same PSI.

What I do not get is if there is constant space to be filled (i.e. displacement or in this case same injector with the same pulse at the same psi) in order to flow more lph into the same constant space how can the pressure remain the same?

In other words if you have a 440cc injector that is at 16.32ms and you are running a 4bar FPR, assuming that the FPR is still returning fuel back to the tank (Pump is not maxed out) how can a larger pump make the injector squirt more fuel without increasing the fuel rail pressure?

I would understand if the pump was maxed or the injector was starved, but in my example that is not the case. Are you saying that the fuel rail pressure will go up? If so why is the 4 bar FPR no longer working properly?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - too many semesters of pv=nrt equations...
Old 11-06-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Re: So a high flow pump will result in higher fuel rail pressure?

I was thinking the pressure would be higher till it gets to the FPR and then the FPR does its job and returns the extra fuel till it meets its set pressure. I wish when you would say stuff you would be able to include facts and more detailed information, dont you work for PES?

Seems like you stated a bunch of myths that appear obvious but I still think you may be wrong.
You got any first hand experience or what?

I just thaught the FPR has a job to do and thats to control the pressure going to the rail, maybe if the regualtor cant do its job then that could be a weak link but they do use the same FPR on Porsches.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning and Preping to go big turbo...