Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Possible Spec clutch/flywheel issues.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Spec clutch/flywheel issues.......

Here we go, I have a Spec flywheel and clutch, stage 3. Little by little it's been making more and more noise. It sounds exactly like a bad wheel bearing but stops when the clutch pedal it pressed in. The only time it doesn't make the noise is when I'm accelerating. Any thoughts on this? Could it be something other than the clutch?

Thanks,

-Scott
Old 12-09-2003, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have my doubts about the SPEC flywheel

I seem to have different issues than the noise. I'll start my story with at first I only had the clutch and my oem flywheel. But I didn't push the car much since I was breaking in the clutch. Then I had to replace my engine and I went with the SPEC LW flywheel. I didn't seem to have any driveability issues as the clutch broke in with the OEM flywheel. As soon as I had the LW flywheel put in, I have had a few weird ones. The clutch doesn't seem to bite as hard on a hard shift. The really weird one is when I move in reverse, then go to first, the clutch engages much much lower, then has a dead space until it reaches the real engagement point and then all the power really starts coming on. This only happens the first engagement after moving with the car in reverse. After that it won't happen again. I noticed also that there is a screetching noise when I take a hard launch and bog. At first I thought it was the tires spinning, but I think it's just slipping. This happens on a hard shift if I don't engage fast enough. This might be more driver error than anything else. I don't get the noises that other people seem to get.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:52 AM

Old 12-09-2003, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Possible Spec clutch/flywheel issues.......

Release (throw-out) bearing...? Could be caused by the uprated clutch (added axial forces on the release bearing?). Just a thought...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could be but I put in a new one w/the clutch and it made the noise from the start.....

just not as loud is it is now. I just thought it was the break in period, I guess not =(
Old 12-09-2003, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Holy ****te - you just exactly described my clutch issues...
Old 12-09-2003, 08:21 AM

Old 12-09-2003, 09:21 AM

Default Could have been a bad bearing from the start. Although, typically a bearing will make more noise

with the pedal depressed (bearing loaded) and quiet with the clutch released.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah....I'm stumped. I guess I'll just drive it till it falls apart =)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default interesting....there goes my theory about the SPEC lw fly being ok for nDBW but not quite right for

Since you can do the work on your own, I would try an OEM or another aftermarket flywheel and see what happens. My issues weren't there with the OEM flywheel. What is your plan of attack Rob?

Quick Reply: Possible Spec clutch/flywheel issues.......