Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

puzzled audi owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puzzled audi owner

I own an 1990 V8 Quattro. Had it for about 5 years now. Recently she has been billowing black smoke out the exhaust and the smell of gas was quite heavy. So I logically replaced the plugs and the ignition wires. The car ran a lot better. But still she was tempermental at times. For instance, I would drive several miles to a store; run in and out; try to restart her and she wouldn't kick. After several weeks of that I decided to do the distributor caps and rotor buttons. She performed a lot better still but isn't quite right.

Here is the kicker... I was driving to downtown with my kid over this past weekend and we pulled into a parking garage. He wanted to park way at the bottom (typical 11 yr old thrills) so i oblidged. Three hours later we went back and the dang car would not start up. So I had to shell over $50 to a hack to drive us home. Later that night I got AAA out there to tow. No flat bed tows can make it into this garage. End of the story is we finally got her out to my mechanic's lot where she sits.

This morning (sunday) I yanked the dead battery from trying to get her to kick over and charged her up. Went back 6 hrs later and she started right up. She idled real high at about 2700 RPM and was doing all sorts of odd things. I shut her off and tried to restart and she failed. So I locked up and took off.

Gonna have my mechanic fix her. But I write all of you great Audi lovers to post your thoughts and suggestions. The best clues I can give you are she is very tempermental with starting up - sometimes she starts like a charm them that rare occasion she lets you down. Could be a hot / cold things I don't know. Strong smell of gas but fresh plugs. Sounds elcectrical in nature. Car wants to fire but just no spark. When she does go she is farting and backfiring some but nothing major. Revves real high and fluctation at times. Ummm 193k in miles. Thats about it

Thanks in advance you all.... From Pete / 1990 V8 Quattro LETS KEEP HER ALIVE!!! THE FIRST V8 MADE
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a coolant temp sensor/enrichment control issue
Old 03-17-2006, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coupla thoughts

O2 sensors - replace them
idle stabilizer - clean it or replace it
position sensors - there are two - if your car shuts down when hot, replace both

search Audifans.com for more info