Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Question about I/C tubing size in connection with RS4 I/C swap...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about I/C tubing size in connection with RS4 I/C swap...

As I've posted previously, I plan to replace the OEM IC in my '99.5 A4 with an RS4 IC. Since my car's down at the moment, waiting for a new turbo that is now unlikely to show up until the end of the week, I thought I'd use the time to get started on the project.

It all looks fairly straightforward, except that I haven't figured out how to address the fact that the RS4 IC's inlet and outlet are larger in diameter than those of the OEM IC. As I see it, I have three options: 1) Leave the RS4 IC and OEM piping alone, and use adapters so the OEM hoses fit; 2) Have sleeves that fit inside the RS4 inlet and outlet machined, weld them in place, and use the OEM hoses; or 3) remove the RS4 inlet and outlet and have someone fabricate new ones that fit the OEM hoses and weld these onto the RS4 end tanks.

Given that I'm sticking with a K03 for now (which I'll likely upgrade to a K03/K04 hybrid in a few months), my gut feel tells me options 2 and 3 are probably the best choices in terms of maximizing performance since the K03 is limited in its huffing ability and the last thing it needs is to reduce the air velocity by using over-large IC tubing, but option 1 is clearly the easiest and least expensive. So, my question is: Are options 2 and 3 worth the extra time, effort, and expense compared to option 1 - i.e., how much of a performance loss am I avoiding by not increasing the diameter of the inlet and outlet as compared to the OEM IC? - and if so, is there any reason that one or the other might be a better choice?

(And, Yes, I have acquired an S4 radiator support to use in place of the A4 support, so as to block off as little of the RS4 core as possible. I haven't had the chance to directly compare the two, but I expect that any differences between them can be accommodated and won't cause any insurmountable problems with the swap. We'll see ... oh, and the Kawasaki radiator fan/shroud that I bought on eBay for $20 fits the RS4 core *perfectly.* I'll take some photos and post them up here over the next few days...)

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:34 PM
Elder Member

Default I would do #1 since those hoses will not add that much volume to the

IC.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do nothing until you upgrade turbo then do option 3, but increase pipe size all the way.