Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Recommendations for pads and rotors for Alcon B-types

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for pads and rotors for Alcon B-types

I have a couple of questions for those of you with Alcon B-types on your cars. Right now I'm running Pagid Orange pads on the front, which are the pads that came with the kit from Vortrag. These seem to work pretty well on the track, but they squeal like a city bus around town. What I really want is a good set of street pads that I can use when I'm not on the track. Anyone have any recommendations? What are other people running in their Alcons?

I'm also looking for recommendations on replacement rotors. Despite being beefier than the stock S4 rotors, I managed to warp my Colemans after only two days at Laguna Seca (at the TracQuest event). In fact, it appears that the Colemans have developed hair-line cracks in the metal along the heat zones, which probably means they're pretty much toast for anything but modest street use.

So my question is what other rotors do people recommend? I know about the Alcon rotors, but I'm looking for other options. Has anyone tried running StopTech's AeroRotors with Alcon calipers? They seem like a pretty good rotor, but I have no idea if they'll fit.

Thanks in advance.

--jdl

Jay Logue
2000 Audi S4
Old 03-04-2001, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Try Pagid Blue. Have just a hint of squeal and I'm pretty happy with track performance
Old 03-04-2001, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Recommendations for pads and rotors for Alcon B-types

IMHO, Oranges are too noisy for the street. Try the Pagid Black street compound (make sure it isn't the Black race compound). You're going to have to swap out pads for the track--just get used to it. You have to tech the car anyway for the track, so just have the pads swapped at the same time--no biggie. Re rotors: I am not a big Coleman fan. I use the Alcon slotted rotors. However, the main problem with S4 warping is a lack of air venting to the rotor, and until someone figures out a way to direct cool air to the hub, I'm afraid all rotors will be prone to warpage under heavy stress. Several folks are working on kits and a solution should be offered soon. Your car weighs over 3500 lbs., and all (or nearly all) the brake bias is up front--the only real solution is to get some air on those brakes or to lighten the car, or both.

Lee in D.C.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:28 AM

Default I second the Pagid Blacks...

I've used them all winter without squeal. They do throw some dust, but bite pretty well even in cold weather right out of the garage.