Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

REpost for daycrew: 99.5 1.8T n-dbw: 7psi max & 21vac??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REpost for daycrew: 99.5 1.8T n-dbw: 7psi max & 21vac??

wonder if that's normal with stock program??

2) also, i just installed my Neuspeed G1 Turboback system, but i only installed the downpipe and center resonator, i didn't install the rear muffler, so i replaced it with just a oval tip.

Now, i can hear 2 "POPPING" sound when i downshift from 4th to 3rd gear. The popping don't happen often though. You can hear it from 3rd to 2nd too, but not often as well. i am not sure if it is backfire or there are loose components under the car.

3) my turbo sounds like it is "whinning" now, doesn't sound right at all. Is hard to explain how it sounds now and it used to be, is it absolutely different though.

what do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's a couple guesses......

exhaust leak at the back gasket of the cat? Loose O2 sensors?

But, by the sound of it, your boost & vacuum are normal. 7 psi is low, and 21 vac is hi, but it may just be the calibration of your gauge or the colder weather?

I'd double check your exhaust work, take a look at your intake, make sure all the hose clamps are tight, test the bpv, and just drive it--let the ECU learn it's parameters.

Sometimes turbos sound louder when exhausts are changed, but I can't hear yours so I can't say. I also don't know what exactly was done, so, ....good luck!
Old 01-25-2004, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default actually all three questions are not related, i don't mean to link them together...

So what's the normal boost and vac for stock program? if i don't have normal boost and vac, wat is affecting it?

The whinning sound is way b4 i put on the exhaust. I am suspecting a boost leak, that's why there is a strange spool up sound. It sounds different than b4, but not becoz of the installation of the exhaust tho.

The popping sound is very recent, i installed my exhaust 5 days ago, off the bet, i can hear the popping sound when i downshift(is from the back of the car). I am thinking of back fire?? Keep in mind, this issue don't related to the whinning sound i described above.

So can you plz answer each of my question, i really want someone to help me out.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: actually all three questions are not related, i don't mean to link them together...

Boost on stock programming for a 1.8T A4 will be in the 7-9 psi range, maybe even less, given our recent cold climate. You said you have a non-dbw, so that info should be accurate for your stock programming (DBW's stock boost should be .8 bar, and non-dbw's run .5 bar). I'd say you're fine there.....

Vacuum should run around 15-19 InHg at normal temps, and can get up to the low 20's with the A/C on, or other engine loads. There's nothing there telling me you have a significant problem.

Whining could be a bad turbo. if you put a long screwdriver on the turbo at idle, hold it firmly with your ear on the handle, and rev the throttle with your other hand. if you hear the whining noise through the screwdriver, I'd say your turbo's going bad. There are other things that make similar noises: viscous fan bearing, power steering pump, even the timing belt tensioner(you'd notice problems other than noise!). Those can also be tested in a similar fasion with the long screwdriver, but PLEASE use caution. I don't need to hear about you catching a screwdriver in the forehead! Other than that, I stick with the original thoughts of checking the intake tubing, clamps, and the bypass valve.

Exhaust popping could just be a leaking exhaust. Not a big concern, but could easily be fixed with better clamps, and exhaust paste. Summit racing sells some great stuff!

Keep in touch!