Rev-matching downshifts on a 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Technical Discussion > Performance and Tuning
Reload this Page > Rev-matching downshifts on a 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox
Notices
Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev-matching downshifts on a 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox

Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rev-matching downshifts on a 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the 8-speed Tiptronic gearbox makes rev-matching when downshifting?
Ok, technically, it's not rev-matching as it is not a manual, but i'm sure you get the point I'm asking to know if Tiptronic also makes that really nice quick engine rev that S-tronic makes just before downshifting.

It would be great if you guys could not only answer yes or no, but also be a bit more specific, in the case it does, for each following situation
1. In D mode, when the car is coasting and the gearbox downshifts as it hits the minimum revs
2. In S mode, when the car is coasting and the gearbox downshifts as it hits the minimum revs
3. In manual mode, when the car is coasting and i mannualy downshift
4. In manual mode, when im pressing the gas pedal and i mannualy downshift (lets say for an overtake)

I'm particulary interested in the Q5 2.0 TFSI quattro (225PS) and Q5 3.0 TFSI quattro (272PS), 2012-2016 model, all with Tiptronic (i know diesel versions comes with S Tronic, but diesel is not an option for me).
Family is growing and the Q5 is on the shortlist

I thank you all.

Cheers!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Depends on the model and years. The more sportier models do such as the RS7 and the current S models such as the S4/5 and the upcoming RS5. In less sporty models it generally doesn't. The last Audi I drove with a ZF8 was an A6 and a Q5 (not the current generation) and they don't rev match on downshifts. The SQ5 on the other does, because again sporty model.

1. No, the S-tronic doesn't either, because the shifts take place low in the rev range where rev matching isn't necessary.
2. Yes, depending on model as said
3. Yes, depending on model as said
4. Yes, depending on model as said