Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Rotor hitting on caliper? I would see unmistakeable signs of this, right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 06:57 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rotor hitting on caliper? I would see unmistakeable signs of this, right?

This would be on my AP 4-pots, which have been on my car for a year, but on which I put new rotors and pads on the last month. The inside bottom of the caliper is very close to the rotor, but I could not make it come in contact with it, and there are no clear signs of contact, but I am getting a rubbing metal noise sometimes (at low speeds when engine braking or maintaining speed) from what sounds like the front axle or right front wheel area. Could my rotor be expanding enough when warm/hot to rub like this and me not be able to notice when it's not hot? The rotor would have to expand nearly 1mm towards the inside of the car or 3mm in diameter to rub the caliper IMO.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the pads have anti rattle clips?

Sometimes they can move a little bit, allowing the pads to intermittantly contact the rotor. Does a hard stop make the noise go away for a little while? If so, that is the likely culprit. I doubt that the calipers will ever touch the rotor. If they do you have bigger problems ;-).
Old 08-12-2001, 06:40 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Not it, I already fixed that problem by readjusting the clips...

...it's not the same sound at all. Unfortunately, it is an intermittent noise, so I don't know if my actions today fixed anything (Today I removed the splash shields, one of which was rubbing on the rotor -- but I don't think that was the noise since a fraile splash shield on the rotor would probably produce a slight dragging noise -- and I tightened the bolts that attach the rotor to the hat -- not that they were loose, but I did get another half to 3/4 turn out of each bolt -- then I got the brakes hot doing some driving -- to expand the rotor -- and the louder more substantial rubbing/meeping/ape hooting noises I heard at low speeds never resurfaced.). I guess time will tell if this did anything to help.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:29 AM

Default Pads not bedded in, "sticking" to new rotor?

My tarox did something like this forever. No matter what I did, sort of a rubbing/resonance when coasting at low/middle speeds. Tried all kinds of stuff.

Then switched to Stoptech.

Those made just a touch of noise in that situation, until I went out a really got them bedded in right.

-Z
Old 08-13-2001, 01:41 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default I don't think so, although the pads generally squeal like a pig...

...except I worked them out pretty hard yesterday (mushied my pedal did I), and they have yet to start squealing again (nor have I heard the "noise").
Old 08-14-2001, 12:24 PM

Default Well if you no longer hear the noise...

After a bed in cycle. Do it again 3 times with lots of 80-0 with no foot resting on pedal at stop, and then see if it *ever* comes back.

-Z