Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

RS2 turbo and Manifold vs. chip tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS2 turbo and Manifold vs. chip tuning

I am about to take delivery of a stock '91 200tq 20v, and am not sure whether I ought to just chip it or go with the RS2 set-up.

I understand that the RS2 lags a bit more, but is it significant enough to offset its benefit? Is it better suited to the track than street? Does it improve acceleration from a 0-60, or is it's benefit felt mainly at highway speeds and above?

Anyone care to share their experience with the RS2 turbo vs. just a chip? Depending on your feedback, I may choose to spend money on suspension, tire/wheel and brakes instead of the RS2.

I'm assuming that all I would need in addition to the turbo and EM would be the chip...is there more involved?

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2001, 12:06 PM

Default My thoughts...

Congrats on the car!

Go to Chris Miller's site for tons of info. It should be in the links section of this site.

I have an UrS4, so our motors and upgrade paths are very similar. In fact, my new RS2 turbo and manifold are sitting on my workbench as we speak. I am currently chipped with an MTM Stage 1+ which includes a 3 bar pressure transducer that gives me 280 hp and 325 lb.ft. torque. This makes for a VERY fast car already. My short answer is: chip the car and spend your money on brakes and suspension. This will give you more overall pleasure with your driving experience than the extra ponies an RS2 setup will give you.

From what I understand from the S-Car listers who have gone down that path, the RS2 will give you a little more lag, but not enough to ruin the drive to work. In fact, once the initial review is posted, I NEVER hear anyone complain about lag again (except for the monster turbo guys).

The RS2 setup is totally streetable (after all, it is from a street car).

Correct, the only things you will need are the turbo, manifold and the chip. Details: you may need shortened studs for the manifold (I do), and you will need a gasket set, too. While you are down there, I would replace all of your relevant hardware (nutz, boltz) with new.

Again, I would save your money and put off the RS2 stuff until you have the other things taken care of. More power will simply exacerbate your weak suspension and brakes even further.

HTH,
Old 02-23-2001, 12:36 PM

Default Ask jimmy about his gerbil honed RS2 manifold!

Hehehe... I'll second all the following things Jimmy said.

1. His car hauls *** (When he doesn't smoke his clutch).
2. Upgrade suspension/brakes first (including wheels/tires).
3. His RS2 turbo and manifold *is* indeed on his workbench (or was last night when I stopped by QRS).

And another vote that Jimmy and the QRS guys know their stuff and are certifiable audi addicts.

-Dave
'00 1.8T too much to list
Old 02-23-2001, 01:24 PM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jimmy shoulda spent the extra $50 for the hamster-honing. Cheapskate.

:-P
Old 02-23-2001, 01:36 PM

Default Shut up! It'll work!

:-P

Say, nice sig block, Hugh. I need to do one some day.
Old 02-23-2001, 02:34 PM

Default I put over 15k miles on MTM stage III+ UrS4 last year...

I mean I drove it everywhere, in all sorts of conditions...

the upgrades were done at 85k. RS2 turbo, manifold, MTM chips, 3 bar MAP sensor ect. but here's the plus part, it's got the ported and polished heads. By having the extra flow of air it seemed to help reduce the lag. I raced an '95.5 UrS6 with MTM stage III upgrades (no P&P head). I got about a third of a car length lead and stayed there past 120mph. I've also raced a '93 UrS4 with MTM stage II (no RS2 turbo) and that car actually got a slight lead after first gear, maybe a quarter car lenght. But I caught up in second, and when I boosted in third my car pulled consistantly away. Not at any huge rate, but I gained a full car lenght by the middle of fourth gear. So the 0-60 is about the same, but the 60-100 is quicker with the RS2 turbo...

I like Jimmy's advice however. Chips and manifold will get you what you are looking for. Save extra money for suspension and brakes...
Old 02-23-2001, 02:53 PM

Default I know that spot.

Hugh, your registry photo is at one of my favorite spots in Austin. Courtyard, right? We used to climb that damn hill over and over for training on the UT cycling team.

Pretty car.

Rich
Old 02-25-2001, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hey! The gerbils were my idea and they WILL work ;)

Poor little buggers don't like the rough grit sandpaper though. A few more nights of them crawling through it with that on, we'll tape emery cloth to them. :P

{and in case you can't tell, we are totally kidding}
Old 02-25-2001, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hamsters are for porting and polishing the head
Old 02-26-2001, 04:22 PM

Default Re: RS2 turbo and Manifold vs. chip tuning

Thanks Jimmie and Jason!

I went to the PIR quattro track day yesterday and bounced this question off Ned Ritchie of IA. He also suggested that I go with his Stage 3 chip program vs. the RS2 for now. He drew a graph showing the power curves of the Stage 3, 3+ and RS2. If my feeble memory serves me well, according to him, the RS2 takes away a bit up to around 2500 rpm and then it blows the stage 3 and 3+ away in the middle and up top.

His Stage 3+ has the same peak hp as 3 but has more mid range oomph.

Thanks again,

Quick Reply: RS2 turbo and Manifold vs. chip tuning