Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

RS6 Exhaust for 2001 A6 4.2L, any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS6 Exhaust for 2001 A6 4.2L, any opinions?

I found a sweet connection from my garage for a used RS6 exhaust to put on my 2001 A6 4.2L. I am thinking I might make the upgrade but before I do it, I was wondering if anyone's done a similar job?

The exhaust is made out of 409 stainless steel, not too pretty but has the wide chrome tips. The price I am paying for it would be way below buying it off the rack or from a parts dealer, the main reason why I am considering it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Back pressure is the enemy of turbo cars, not always the case on N/A. Not sure you would gain power

if thats what you want that is, could actually hurt it IME.
Rod
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
JWG

Default Check carefully the mid resonator, as turbo cars do not have issues with exhaust pulses . . .

Thus, there exists no reason to try to quiet them. The turbine literally chops up the exhaust pulses and makes sound suppression a minor issue.

Turbos define the power curves based on the characteristics of the turbo. N/A engines require backpressure to reach peak power and manage the power curves. Unless you have a 3000+ HP dragster engine, you need backpressure. Every NASCAR, F1, and other racing engine has some backpressure to manage the power curves. Yes, less backpressure will give you higher hp numbers, but you must balance hp and torque with your exhaust backpressure. Toyota had to learn the hard way in F1 that building engines with higher hp meant decreasing torque in the lower RPM ranges; thus, driveability suffered. Ferrari mastered the art of balancing hp and torque and has always had an engine that never got rated as most powerful but often powered them to victory.

The less displacement you have, the more backpressure you need. Do a search, I have posted more than one time on the things I learned about backpressure from a race engine builder.

If you like the tips on the end exhaust canister from the RS6, it will likely not affect your hp/torque balance much to install it. However, if you replace the entire system, you could have problems. Audi's mid-resonators on its normally aspirated cars are really works of engineering art; I would not mess with them.

What mods do you have on your 4.2 that require a new exhaust? You did not buy a Jap. car that has an under-sized exhaust system to save the manufacturer pennies.

The exhaust is the last thing you mod on a N/A engine. Start with your intake inlet and painstakingly work through every air passage and exhaust passage and end with modding the muffler, if you want real performance gains.