Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Running water pump from crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running water pump from crank pulley

I am racing a B5 1.8t A4. It's the ATW motor, so the water pump is driven by a secondarry belt from the power steering pump (power steering from the serpintine belt). There are several things I don't like about this.

1. I don't want power steering on my race card. So I've removed all the P/S hoses and fluids, capped the steering rack. But I have to keepthe P/S pump because it drives the water pump.

2. I've already had one P/S pump fail at the track, freezing the pulley, burning up the secondary belt, which stopped my water pump and - boom - overheated and destroyed a motor. Holes in pistons, blown head gasket, deeply scored combustion chambers - a total waste.

So, I need to know if anyone has done either of the following:
a. Found a free spinning pulley that replaces the P/S pump already.
or
b. Found a way to drive the water pump on the ATW motor directly from the crank pulley (crank pulley is a grooved belt but water pump is a V belt).

I have to believe that anyone who has raced a B5 A4 1.8t has had this problem. But I can't find any info about it anywhere. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should add...

The crank pulley runs the serpintine belt (which I'd need to keep to drive alternator).
But it also drives the A/C compressor - which is long gone on my race car - but is in
line with the water pump pulley. Any advise is appreciated.