Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Saw a pic of Innovative Turbo's tubular exhaust manifold for the 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a pic of Innovative Turbo's tubular exhaust manifold for the 1.8T

Has anyone seen one in the flesh? It looks like it might be more efficient than the ATP manifold, even if it is not a tuned-length manifold. It needs to be compatible with an external wastegate for what I want to do with it, however.

Not a big fan of integral wastegates.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:34 PM

Default where'd you see this pic?

got a link?
Old 09-21-2001, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe a little OT, but that sig. ROCKS !!
Old 09-21-2001, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Headers are great for the track and strip only. (continued)

Yes tubular headers make more HP, shifts the powerband to the right, losing some bottom end but should gain on the mid's and high's. For everyday use, nah. It will warp and sag in time from the real world conditions, cracks on the welds if not welded properly. Not a fan of ATP either, looks like a Home Depot plumbing parts bin job: "T" fittings that do not direct exhaust gas flow properly. I would rather port and polish the stock piece with Extrude Honing first and take it from there.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:38 AM

Default have you seen the diameter of the stock exhaust manifold runners?

not much potential there
Old 09-22-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

August Max Power Magazine, Page 104
Old 09-22-2001, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think I agree with you on that...

I don't think the choice of tubular vs log has an influence on boost onset. It can allow you to change the power pulse train when it hits the turbine wheel, but that is iffy on this one, as it is not (as I specified) equal length.

As for the stocker, if you want to keep to mild (240 hp or less) internal wastegated turbos like the K04/K03 sort, then it probably is fine. If you want to move up to a larger design turbo, greater power, or an external wastegate, then you will be handicapping yourself befrore you even begin.

I will allow for poor weld quality being a possibility in anything. I have not held the Innovative unit in my hand, so that was why I was asking.

Also, Supersprint was said to be making a welded tubular manifold for the 1.8T. I'll have to find out more details.

I have not held the ATP unit in my hand so I can't tell you how "home depot" it is. The pictures I have seen are a single cast unit, so I don't know what T fittings you are talking about. Perhaps you are confusing it with the piece of **** manifold that TAP used to offer a few years ago that was a total dog?
Old 09-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Elder Member

Default what does that mean?

Too large or too small? You don't want them too large becuase it will slow the air too much and let it cool before it gets to the turbo. You don't want them too small for obvious reasons.

A short 4 (3 on a 2.7T) into 1 header coulde provide faster turbo spinup due to better pulse distribution at the turbos, especially on a 2.7T. however, the 4 into 1 header probably will destroy all its pulse advantages by being extra long and thus delaying spoolup and reducing temps enough to reduce boost produced.

All in all I would say you probably could improve on the stock exhaust manifold, but you better do it just right or you'll end up losing more than you gain.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:27 AM

Default small, at some points the inside diameter is about as big as my thumb, if you remove more material

then you run the risk of makng the manifold walls too thin, and then you have problems with cracking,warping etc....

just buy yourself a manifold that was designed for more flow than the 150hp of stock

i have seen stock manifolds crack/fracture from a chip alone, much less porting it and pushing even more power through it
Old 09-23-2001, 11:06 AM

thnx, ill look for it

Quick Reply: Saw a pic of Innovative Turbo's tubular exhaust manifold for the 1.8T