Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Shall we try it this way? Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shall we try it this way? Suspension...

OK, I'll narrow this. The research I've done points to coilovers being a good place to start in improving the S4 suspension. The car will be a daily driver/commuter, so full-on kidney pounding is not acceptable, however, I would like as much control as possible for open track events.

The 3 coilover setups I've seen any information are:

Intrax - lots of ride-height problems
H&R - good dual-purpose setup
Vortrag/Koni - raciest

So, is the Vortrag the best track setup? If so, how livable is it with full soft settings on the daily commute?

What other things should I look for as far as suspension? Does the 19mm rollbar really help things? I generally prefer to tune with a stiff chassis and springs, as rollbars reduce grip, but is the balance so off that a stiffer rollbar helps on the track?

Thanks for any HELPFUL input.
Old 06-21-2001, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default input, since i'm here

probably <a href="http://www.champion-motors.com/Racing/audicar.cfm">these guys </a>has the raciest setup. theyre a well respected team in these parts so i guess, they have the most trackable setup for your new car. about daily driving, I wouldnt even like my A4 to be my daily driver ... and thats only the koni sports/neuspeed race setup.

swaybars: "necessity is the mother of all inventions"(something like that). drive it(or someone else's car), lacks very sharp, slow turning ability - then you might need a bigger swaybar. does it help me? in some cases yes but i'm getting some unpredictable effects/driver inputs from it - i guess you can say that it has a learning curve
Old 06-21-2001, 04:53 PM

Default Credit...

for actually posting something in response this time.

I checked out their site - the racecar looks great, but they only list H&R coilovers in their parts section. Do they sell the racier bits they use on the competition car?
Old 06-21-2001, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default taken, newbie

rumor has it that you can only get it from this one place
Old 06-21-2001, 04:59 PM

Default 'This one place'?

Has or hasn't anybody purchased and used the parts?
Old 06-21-2001, 05:00 PM
PWR
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Shall we try it this way? Suspension...

Votrag should be able to help you with a custom setup if you prefer. Otherwise you're looking at off the shelf setups. H&R springs seems to be a bit firmer than Eibachs (I haven't been able to find out the spring rates for any of these or other setups). Koni, Neuspeed & Bilstein also offer products.

I've been looking at changing the suspension on my car for sometime and my first choice would be the Votrag (Hypercoil springs & custom valved konis) based on some of the past responses, the crowd that use them (mostly competition types/non-posing crowd), the quality of the products and the reputation of the dealer. However, they're not cheap.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2001, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the info...
Old 06-21-2001, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dont know anyone personally

I was told you can get them thru groups like champion. give them a call
Old 06-22-2001, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Shall we try it this way? Suspension...

Another coilover possibility is KW. From what I've read they are a bit more adjustable than the H&Rs but are also not quite as aggressive in terms of lowering and stiffenss. They are also more expensive.

I'm haveing them installed on my A6 this weekend, not a really fair comparison with the S4, but I'll post my impressions later anyway.<ul><li><a href="http://www.hpamotorsport.com/">KW coilovers at HPA</a></li></ul>
Old 06-22-2001, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the lead, I hadn't heard of these.

Quick Reply: Shall we try it this way? Suspension...