Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Some interesting carbon fiber rotor info..

Old 01-03-2001, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some interesting carbon fiber rotor info..

For those who don't already know..

Porsche's ceramic rotor after processing, is silicon carbide - mostly silicon. These things have a hardness of 9.7 (10 = a diamond). The only way to polish them is with diamonds. The cast iron unit (big red's rotor) is 3x heavier.

The calipers are 6 pots and flash yellow (easy to identify brakes as ceramics).

Soon they'll also be available for the 911 GT3 and are already on the mighty V10.

All they need to do now is go back to the air cooled vario-ram motors and exit the SUV market, imho.
Old 01-03-2001, 11:26 AM
CP

So, what IS your work history at that Porsche shop anyway, SC?
Old 01-03-2001, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Something like an internship..

It's a race oriented Porsche shop that has the best mechanics that I truly know of. We currently just finished a project racer 914-6. Before that was a 944 turbo S and some past duck tail 911's before my time.

To give you an idea of things we didn?t get paid for how many cars we put out or have to meet a consistent quota so more pride was usually put into the work.

I started from being a gopher up to the stages of an unlicensed mechanic. I worked with 5 guys (around school schedule too). I had the smallest toolbox btw. Now that I'm back in school full time it's impossible to get day hours in. I am usually there at least once a week usually chewing the fat about whatever.

The group consisted of one guy from Italy, two hardcore ex VW mechanics, which were brothers, one ex GM mechanic (always busted his *****), and the boss, Creech. The guy from Italy has a specialty with gearboxes and one of the two brothers is a dedicated pro at just about everything else. He is a good friend of mine. I go to his house when I work on my car. The other guys are far from par level mechanics as well and are friends.

I used to catch myself staring at the RUF modified cars when they'd come into the shop. What I didn?t get to do was test drive the heavily modified turbo's although the stockers were a fun enough. Those guys get hours of seat time and know what they are doing. There is certainly a big difference between the previous gen a/c turbo models and the Na cars from my experience. The old turbo's 930, 3.6/993's are the perfect weapon in the right hands.

>I now recall that one of the APR guys (I think Tom) knows Sid, one of the guys that works(ed) with us a Rennwerke. If APR is reading this then we all saw each other at the last waterfest event. Small world.