Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

sorry for the x-post, but maybe you all could help me out: quick question about autocross and track

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry for the x-post, but maybe you all could help me out: quick question about autocross and track

I know that anyone can show up at a dragstrip and run if their cars pass inspection, but what about track events at places like VIR or RIR and autox events? do i need to have some sort of certification to get onto track events or participate in autox? what should I have beforehand to get ready for an event? i.e. helmet, harness... etc...
if anyone can shed some light on this id really appreciate it!

thanks,
blake
Old 08-17-2005, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For track and autocross events

it often depends on the club. You'll typically need a snell 95 or more often a snell 2000 helmet.

Your car will have to pass a tech inspection where they look for no leaking fluids, no play in the wheels, adequate tires, no loose objects in the car, etc.

You shouldn't need a harness, though they're nice. Some track clubs will require that "unlicensed" drivers (meaning you haven't passed their certs yet to drive solo) may require an instructor in the car.

Roll bars are usually only required on convertibles on a track, not autocross.

Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Not sure about the strip as I've never done that.

BTW, if you're doing a track event, it's worth it to pick up a set of track quality brake pads. I've destroyed more than one street set on the track, in an afternoon. Same with tires, though that's a little less of a concern in terms of totally ruining them.