AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Tuning (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/)
-   -   SQ5 Supercharger Pulley? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/sq5-supercharger-pulley-2966106/)

845SQ5Guy 01-24-2019 03:52 PM

SQ5 Supercharger Pulley?

I had an APR Stage 1 tune on my A4, and I would LOVE to get my 2016 SQ5 tuned too, but I don't want to mess with my warranty.

I was wondering if I could change just the supercharger pupley and pick up a little more boost and increase the fun factor, without doing a tune. I realize this would void the warranty IF it was brought to the dealer with the pulley, but I'd just swap it out if I ever brought it in.

Anyone just do the pulley? Which did you go with? Any seat of the pants gains?

Any other easy mods that wouldnt be detected if hooked up to the scanner at the dealer?

Thanks for your feedback. 👍🏼

845SQ5Guy 01-28-2019 03:33 PM

*bump*

Dan99 02-26-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by 845SQ5Guy (Post 25266641)
I had an APR Stage 1 tune on my A4, and I would LOVE to get my 2016 SQ5 tuned too, but I don't want to mess with my warranty.

I was wondering if I could change just the supercharger pupley and pick up a little more boost and increase the fun factor, without doing a tune. I realize this would void the warranty IF it was brought to the dealer with the pulley, but I'd just swap it out if I ever brought it in.

Anyone just do the pulley? Which did you go with? Any seat of the pants gains?

Any other easy mods that wouldnt be detected if hooked up to the scanner at the dealer?

Thanks for your feedback. 👍🏼

I had a 2013 B8.5 S4 which I believe has the same engine. I started with stage 1 APR ECU and TCU and it was fun at high rpms but you really had to get the revs up to take advantage of it. The car was transformed for the better when I went to stage 2. It became loads of fun around town, right off idle, and any point in the rpm range. It was better in every respect, and it passed emission testing like they promised.

I used the crank pulley instead of the blower pulley because it provided a bit more boost. The APR dealer said he could remove the tune and it would not be detectable by the dealer. I never tested that though. I asked how the car would drive with the crank pulley but no tune. He said the torque would come on sooner, but there would be no advantage on the top end as all of that is controlled by the software and the maximum boost it allows. So, for what it's worth, that's what I was told.

I suggest you call APR. They were very helpful as I was trying to figure out the best approach for my car. I'm sure they can give you more definitive information, and you might ask if the tune can be removed without it being detected by the dealer.

845SQ5Guy 02-27-2019 03:06 AM

Thanks for your response. I'm sure the stage 2 tune was a blast. I know that any time is detectable, I found out the hard way with my 15 A4 with the stage 1. Had the tuner take it off, brought it to Audi for an issue and they saw there was a tune at one time. They can't pinpoint dates but it leaves a footprint that they can tell youessed with the software