Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Suspension Mods....Questions

Old 10-04-2001, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Mods....Questions

1. What is the difference between coilovers and springs? does the TT need both?

2. Can someone list the different suspension mods by component and the 2 or 3 options for each component? Coilovers, Springs, Shocks, swaybars?

TIA
Old 10-04-2001, 08:06 AM

Default not to sound mean, but you need to do some research on Suspension 101

-coilovers are damper/spring combo - they let you adjust the ride height. Damper is designed to accomodate different heights
-Shocks+Springs have a set height, damper is designed to work in that specific range only.
-Sway bars are to decrease body roll, which helps keeps the optimal contact tire contact angle. Dont need upgraded sway bars unless you are looking for a specific handling characteristics.
Old 10-04-2001, 09:02 AM

That's cool...know of any site or source that gives this lesson?
Old 10-04-2001, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to point out a few flaws in your explanation...

- Damper is not designed to accomodate different heights but have to be matched with spring rates and body weight of car. A lower than optimal setting on the ride height requires a shorter damper such that the piston inside will be sitting in the comfort zone and not the upper travel limit of the damper. That will be ineffective and will wear out the damper easily. We are all most likely guilty of this specially when the cheaper dampers either have no adjustment at all or have a rebound only and we are setting coil over ride heights lower than the optimal setting of the damper.

- Sway bars make the axle less independent by using the resistance of expansion of the uncompressed corner counter the force exerted on the compressing corner since softer springs on that side are on the loosing battle. Because of this, the tire patch on the compressed corner may be controlled to be optimal, but the uncompressed corner can totally lift up in the air providing no traction at all. The Inner unloaded tire helps cornering even though it is barely on the ground which is why setting front Toe Out works towards oversteer.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:49 AM

Default well i figured I give him the lame mans(?) term explanation first before I confused him.:)

maybe i was unclear on the damper, but i was just trying to point out, cutting springs or using shorter springs w/o getting matching dampers, will be less than optimal to say the least because not only are they matched for spring rates and weight but they have an optimal travel distance/range. Comments are always appreciated.
Old 10-05-2001, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutting springs - oh yes that's a no no - but was I guilty of doing that too B-^