Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Suspension opinions for 01' A6 2.7t

Old 10-20-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension opinions for 01' A6 2.7t

I want to upgrade the suspension on my A6 for improved handling, less roll, and a little better appearance. I had Bilstein coilovers on my BMW, but I'm not sure if I need to spend the money on coilovers again.

Once I set the ride height I will leave it alone. I never had it adjusted on my BMW in over a year after it was squared away. I'd like to have the height set to balance between handling, looks, and performance in general life - i.e. not too low that it scrapes constantly, ok for the winter, etc... I'm also concerned if I drop the car on just springs that I won't be able to have it setup for proper weight distribution, balance, etc. I don't really track the car, but I want it to perform properly and don't want to end up with mis-alignments, tire wear issues, or poor performance.

I would however like to be able to adjust the firmness of the shocks - for a new guy, is this "adjustable dampening"? What is the difference between that and rebound as it relates to "comfort". Again, I'd like a balance between comfort and performance.

Based on what I'm looking for, do you think I'd be better off with coilovers or springs/shocks? Would roll-bars need to be a consideration here? Is it true that with roll bars I could have a "softer" ride but still have reduced roll and improved handling?

thanks for any help or suggestions.......