Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade?

I have a 2000 A6 2.7T that came with the $750 Sport Package. That's the package with the sport seats and 16" sport alloy wheels. The later 2000 models came with a $1000 Sport Package option that had everything the $750 option had PLUS "sport suspension". Everyone I've talked to from TireRack to my dealer confirms that the differance is in the springs. I'm considering buying a set of Eibach springs that will lower the car 1.4" and give the car a stiffer feel. As one more sanity check, can anyone confirm/deny this? Anyone else with a similar stock setup do this already? What would be the advantage (if any) of also getting new shocks (car has 29K on it)?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-22-2001, 10:55 AM

Default I would do both shocks and coils

I went with the H&R sport coils and Bilstein shocks.. I am very happy,, if you ask me the sport package just gives you the cool steering wheel, and sport seats,, the rest is advisable to replace,, anyway,, wheels,, and suspension., You get much better performance with these aftermarket parts.. Brings out the true car that yyou own..IMHO the sport steering wheel alonbe is worth the money for the sport package,, and that is the only thing from the sport package that I have kept.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I would do both shocks and coils

I was afraid you'd say that. What very innocently started with looking for a new set of all performance tires led to looking at a 17" wheel upgrade (from the 16" stock) which then led to new springs (Eibach sport set) and now to putting on new shocks! Where does it end?

What year is your car? The reason I ask is that the shop I called to get a price quote on the shocks said that Bilstein doesn't yet have a sport shock out for 2000+ Audi's. I went to www.bilstein.com to confirm and it does indeed only go up to models for year 99. Actually even when you click on the 97-99 model option it says that it's in "Development".

I think I'm now leaning to the 17" wheel upgrade with new tires only. That way, I can evaluate the ride and determine where I want to go from there and keep the current wallet hit down. If I'm still not satisfied, I'll again look in the spring/shock option.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-22-2001, 04:17 PM

Default thats what I did,

First I did a wheel upgrade to 17" Oettinger RE's, with the (lower profile than stock) Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, which definatly changed the ride smoothness a tiny bit,, but gave me an incredible instant better handling and satisfaction in the car. The ride and handling was so much improved that I wished I had done it months before.

After much debate about whether or not to do a full suspension job,, for fear of losing clearance for bad road conditions and ride quality. I decided to go for it. Now that that is done,, I must say,, the car looks ten times better,, but that is only looks,, so what about ride. Well the car handles like an animal now,, and is a blast to drive even short distances. And as for the ride comfort,, it is a little rougher on the bad roads,, but overall not noticable in cpomparison to the stock sport with aftermarket wheels that I had previous.

As for the bilsteins not being speced for 2000, not sure about this,, a shock is just a shock,,I cant imagine there are any differances between the 99 and the 2000, Audi has not changed anything in the suspension system out of the factory since the 99 models came out,, so it cant be a factor..

hope this helps.,.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:14 AM

Default Ditto.

I went to ace lola 17" with Brig. S-02 Pole Posit. tires. Excellent improvement in handling, and quieter ride!

My only comment is that at highway speed, the car is still a bit floaty when it comes to taking bumpy corners. I love the highway ride so I'm probably going to go with new shocks (to get quicker recentering), but leave the springs alone.

dj