Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Thank you, Koni USA! My coilovers on my A4 are now sans noise (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you, Koni USA! My coilovers on my A4 are now sans noise (longish)

From day one my Koni coilover kit made noise going over bumps, undulations, driveways, etc., all at slow speeds. I thought it was a control arm problem at first. But then Audiboy and I determined that the problem was really the spring coils touching at the upper end of the progressive spring.

Well, I've been working with Koni to solve this problem. Last week I received a new set of springs for the front suspension of my 1.8t Avant, along with some perch isolators. As it turns out, I received the springs for the 2.8 which seem to have a higher spring rate, but most importantly, the coils near the top of the spring don't sit as close together. This looked promising....

This morning my tech and I went out to have some breakfast and he noticed a bit of bump steer as I turned left through a corner that had a dip in it. He recommended shaving the top 3/4" or so off the bump stop - still plenty of bump stop left there. So today we put everything together and wouldn't you know it? Yes, no more noise and the front end is more compliant and stable with less even less squat and dive.

Thanks to Audiboy, Tim, and Lee Grimes from Koni USA for helping me solve this problem. I'm very happy with the new setup. Driving around town is much better, no noise and my car handles a bit better too!

Yes, I'm all smiles! :-)
Old 06-18-2001, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default excellent. Glad to hgear everything worked out. Kudo's to Koni of NA for being really helpful...

Sorry for not being to work with you about installing this, but I just installed camber links this weekend. I'll have a write up tonight about it. Night and Day difference at the AutoX yesterday. Almost took the fastest times away from my competitors in my class which I had been always a second or 2 behind

Let us know if Koni will start shipping new front springs with some perch isolators.
Old 06-18-2001, 12:33 PM

Default What do the camber links do? More negative camber?

Now I really need a ride in your A4. ;-)

BTW, now that I've had a chance to drive around a bit, my Avant is definitely handling better than ever with the new springs. Ride height sits about the same, but my front end doesn't exhibit as much squat/dive. The ride is a bit stiffer, but no complaints here! Out on the freeway it is simply awesome.
Old 06-18-2001, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default -3 degrees up front. Slightly slower initial turn in, but accelerating early in the turn is...

possible now. I can take onramps 10mph faster Worked well in the AutoX.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:02 PM

Default Wow, so now you are really using your rubber, eh?

I'll wait for your write-up. Are you planning on leaving it set this way for the street?
Old 06-18-2001, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since I counted how many turns on the tie rod and camber links, I can go back to my old setup in 30

minutes - no need to take out the tire!! I love it. If no events for a while, I'll go to the street setting. Ya too much money for tires