Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Is there anyway to make the steering feel less numb and give more feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2000, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anyway to make the steering feel less numb and give more feedback?

I was taking my 1.8T through the canyons and noticed that the steering feels detached from the road. I heard of people taking out their power steering to get more feedback but that's too extreme for me. Are there any other options like changing steering fluid?

thanks
Old 10-31-2000, 08:17 PM

Default An Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley reduces power assist

Gives a "just right" feel IMHO, plus the extra power and willingness to rev are nice bonuses.<ul><li><a href="http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/">Unorthodox Racing</a></li></ul>
Old 10-31-2000, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Anybody have any experience or opinions about aftermarket underdrive pulleys for a 1.8T?

I have heard that they were a major waste of time for some Japanese cars like Hondas and Acuras but the gains are supposedly better with a forced induced engine. Are thier any disadvantages with it?

thanks,
Old 10-31-2000, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I was hoping the same thing, I want the feel like the BMW steering response
Old 11-01-2000, 06:13 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do you have stock wheels?

when you go to a lower profile you will get more road feedback. There was a huge difference between my 16s and 17s.
-Will
Old 11-01-2000, 07:18 AM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Unfortunately, the cause of numbness is the 4-link front suspension...

it creates a virtual steering axis closer to the center of the contact patch. So you get less torque steer, but less feedback also! Reducing wheel offset from stock (+45) to aftermarket (+35) might also improve feel (I'm running stock for now).
Old 11-01-2000, 07:33 AM

Default Finally some facts, yes...steering feel

It is the linkage that is the problem, this is also compounded with the unsporting alignment. The best solution for this specific problem is to run much stiffer tires. You want lower profile, but not wider for feel. So go plus1 in a 17", or run some "R" tires in the 16".

I wouldn't touch the pulley with a 10' pole. It voids the warranty and you ALREADY have speed sensitive steering. It is the wrong solution for any problem, since it does nothing for the link or the high profile stock tire.

If you have money, check out the camber adj. links or even a 1 element arm (like they use in the race car).
Old 11-01-2000, 07:44 AM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If Audi did nothing other than improve steering feedback...

they would edge out BMW on many of the reviews I've seen. Another problem with the 4-link is control arm failures. Did they fix that? Let's hope so
Old 11-01-2000, 07:53 AM

Default A lot of turbo'd Miata had oil pump failures when running a UR pulley.

They surmised that the pulley increased vibration or created a harmonic that imploded the oil pump. This may or may not be applicable to the Audi engine, however. If you go to miatapower.net and do a search, you will find lots of discussion about this.<ul><li><a href="http://www.miatapower.net/">http://www.miatapower.net/</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-2000, 08:08 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do a search i remember about a year ago there was a discussion

and the general consensus was that they were bad for the A4

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to make the steering feel less numb and give more feedback?