Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

For those who know brakes...Please read!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who know brakes...Please read!!

I changed all my pads this weekend to the Mintex red box, and walked away with some problems on my hands. When I am 5mph or less away from stopping, the ABS system kicks in everytime. I did everyhting correct, and was under the supervision of a VW mechanic at his shop. After this happened, I pulled and cleaned all the debris from the sensors and their chambers. The rear pads were really low, but i released the caliper the right way by turning it. I also ran an OBD II check and all the sensons checked good. Please, if anyone has had this problem, let me know how you fixed it.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:30 AM
4kq

Default Mysterioso...

Never heard of this. But, the brakes are really pretty simple. I am assuming that it is the fronts that are getting the abs pulse at 5mph, yes?

There are only a cople of things that are likely: I think one of your front calipers is sticking. Did you lube the puppy up with high temp grease? Try this on snow and you can see what is actually happening, very instructive. You can also feel it with you hand, one is likely much hotter than the other.

The other likely option is that you have an air pocket or crud in the abs pump. You need the bentley to do it.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You might have knock one of the sensors off alignment
Old 12-06-2001, 08:42 AM

Default Sensors are not the only things that need to be cleared of debris...

Because the system comes on and pulses, it means that the ABS is working correctly(it just thinks one wheel is locking up). It does not neccisarily indicate a clogged pump.

If your sensors were in the wrong place or damaged, the pedal would be high and hard for a minute after startup, then the "ANTILOCK OFF" light would come on. So I assume your sensors are fine.

The system thinks a wheel is locking up because it is getting fewer signals from one wheel. That is what causes the pulses. If debris such as corrosion or excess dirt get between the sensor and the trigger, it can cause a bad signal. This is likely to be your problem.

To fix it, you need to remove the hub and take a scribe to the trigger wheel. Clean as much corrosion and crap off as you can.

Hope that helps, good luck!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:01 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The air gap between the sensor face and the toothed reluctor wheel is too large. To fix ...more.....

One or more of the sensors are not fully seated in the mounting hole of the hub. Rotate them slightly while pushing them firmly in.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:49 AM

Default If the sensor is pushed in too far, the trigger wheel will damage the sensor....

A trick is to take a piece of thick paper(like a post card)and trim it to fit on the end of the sensor. Replace the sensor with the piece of card on the end. Do this on both sides of the car. The card acts as a spacer and does not disturb the magnetic signal. Make sure the sensor is in all the way. The paper will wear off eventually, and does no damage.