Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Tolulene: which brands are safe for octane boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tolulene: which brands are safe for octane boost?

(x-post from A4 forum)
I just picked up a gallon of Sherwin-Williams brand Tolulene at Sherwin-Williams paint store today. I looked at the ingredients, and it appears to be pure with no additives.

Can anyone verify that? Any specific brands to watch out for?
Old 06-01-2001, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please search archives...

Hiya,

Please search archives on my thoughts (Ph.D. in organic chemistry) on this subject. Not under tolulene but "toluene" and "octane boost".

My only question is why do people insist on not buying something labelled as octane booster from an automotive distributor and buying something NOT labelled as octane booster something from a paint store? No flames, I just would like to know.

Regretably I only had one response for a full test of commercially available toluene/octane boosters, for contents, purity, etc. I would be doing this for the forum only, so unless the interest is there, I won't invest the time.

Please post if interested.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 06-01-2001, 09:41 AM
PWR
AudiWorld Member

Default Dr. Mike's pet peeve - Alchemists & Toluene

My pet peeve is left foot braking (as in rally driving)with ABS equiped vehicles. It doesn't work!

:-)
Old 06-01-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did do some searching initially, but...

I didn't see much as far as brands to purchase. I'll do another search with the parameters you suggested.

The lack of interest might perhaps be caused by people's lack of realization that they might not be getting the full power out of their engine. An A4 in its stock configuration probably wouldn't benefit much at all from higher than 92, but when you start chipping, installing bigger turbos, etc, it does make a difference.

I personally would love to see the results of a full test of octane boosting solutions.

As far as why I chose toluene (not tolulene?) from a paint store: it's because I kept reading that it was just as good as store bought official octane booster, but store bought products had a tendency to cause corrosion of things like fuel lines, etc. My first plan, though, was indeed to get some name brand boosters. I would certainly feel more comfortable using a name brand product that has been designed and tested for specifically automotive applications, rather than using "paint thinner" from Sherwin-Williams.

Anyway, keep me in mind if you have any more info or would like to run some tests. I have a VAG tool, which I plan to hook up and see if the tolu(l)ene helped my retarded timing.
Old 06-01-2001, 02:22 PM

Default If you have a VAG....

Hiya,

If you have a VAG tool and mix the toluene with gasoline before adding to the tank, you should be fine, just work incrementally.

Just to clarify, I don't doubt the effectiveness of toluene as octane booster. What is my pet peeve (thanks PWR, ;-)) is when people claim it is "rocket fuel", "jet fuel" or gives them tons o' horsepower. ALL it can do, as you realize, is give you back power from the timing not being yanked back under high boost/load conditions.

I would add until you can do 3 back to back runs w/o a knock code, not to exceed 1 gallon per tank.

With all of the formulations of gasoline out there you cannot be certain of the initial aromatic hydrocarbon content, and if you overshoot, you will end up with high H/C emissions and possibly, in extreme cases, burned valves.

Good luck, and hopefully I'll get to some testing this summer.

Michael
Old 06-01-2001, 04:40 PM

Default Given that I still had some retard at 20% toluene unchipped

I doubt that he can get no retard with 1 gallon
Old 06-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Elder Member

Default are you sure there isn't something wrong with your car?

Unchipped with 92 octane gas you shouldn't have knock codes very often, even under heavy acceleration.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:45 PM

Default Don't think so, try this test on your car...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/performance/msgs/31045.phtml">link to test procedure & results</a></li></ul>
Old 06-03-2001, 12:53 AM
Elder Member

Default do you have more info

I can't run it right now because although I have a VAG tool, I don't have a laptop.

But that isn't the real problem. The real problem is that I don't have a 4-cyl engine. Do you have info on how to do this test on a 2.7T, including where the parametere are? Or is VAG-COM straightforward that I shouldn't have a problem finding it?
Old 06-03-2001, 07:57 AM

Default straightforward

Make sure you are using the alpha version 0.76, it's here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/alpha/VagCom-A76a.exe

timing corrections are block 20 cyl #1-#4 & block 21 cyl #5-#8; likewise knock sensor voltage block #26 & #27

I borrow laptops from work. Let me know what you get.

Quick Reply: Tolulene: which brands are safe for octane boost?