Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Too many decisions.......TAP or MTM or APR..........preferred exhaust by audiworld members.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many decisions.......TAP or MTM or APR..........preferred exhaust by audiworld members.....

I'm leaning towards the TAP chip
and a Supersprint downpipe back exhaust...

SUGGESTIONS......PLEASE. I'm going
****in' crazy!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-22-2001, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

why TAP? check out GIAC's upgrade path
Old 08-23-2001, 06:01 AM

Default Check archives on TAP problems and raves about GIAC and APR

Hiya,

If you run a search on those terms you will find several blown motors with TAP chips and parts. Even if these instances are a couple in every hundred it is enough to be concerned. Their "K03 Sport" upgrade, personally is a joke, why not just get the K04 rather than messing with another part.

MTM has a good rep, but can be pricey for what you get. I believe their Stage I chip is $599 for the A4.

Most of the GIAC/APR customers rave about good service and a first rate product. You will find most of them will actually recommend the other tuners product as just a matter of taste.

APR makes probably the best crafted exhaust for the A4 right now. It is pricey at $899, though. Borla makes probably the next best, and is a relative bargain at $468, shipping included from A.W.E. I probably am going that route.

With a baby on the way in February, I doubt I can convince my fiancee over the expense of the APR. I can make the Borla's price by the $300 I'm getting from Uncle Sam and George W. and some play money.

Do your homework. Seriously, give yourself a 30 day no mods period to research the archives here, and call the respective tuners. The A4 is a great car that can be ruined for big $$$ if you choose the wrong path. After every mod you should say to yourself, "This is the car it was meant to be" rather than, "I wish I my car back".

Cheers!

Michael
Old 08-23-2001, 11:37 AM

thanks for the advice boys...........I'll let you know what I chose really soon!
Old 08-23-2001, 04:17 PM

Default "new" GIAC's chip

There was a post in the S4 forum about a new GIAC chip that has switchable functionality (from a key remote no less) that is being shown Saturday at a Calif GIAC dealer. Sounds really great. For some reason, the post seems to have been deleted (by a moderator?). Anyway, they have up to 4 modes. One that sounds cool is a mode that kills the ECU if you happen to park in a nasty area. You can of course switch from stock to full power chip mode. I've heard really great reports from GIAC owners but was leaning towards the APR chip due to it's ability to alter it's behavior on the fly. With GIAC offering this, I'm seriously looking into this new pup.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

unless you want the valet mode =)
Old 08-25-2001, 06:51 PM

Default i generally stay away from tap ... go apr or giac

i did a lot of research before i bought my chip(apr) .. actually during the 4month wait for my car to come in. hehe

tap was on the top of my list .. but after receiveing a catalog .. checking out their prices and having heard some pretty questionable performance results .. bleh. no tap for me.

maybe it's just their marketing that needs help .. BUT, when they advertise a +8hp gain from just a filter .. ??

too hokey.

<a href="http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by_Model/A4_turbo/a4_turbo.html">http://www.tap1.com/Modifications_by_Model/A4_turbo/a4_turbo.html</a>

cant really go wrong w/ either apr or gaic