Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Trans experts, opinions please.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans experts, opinions please.......

My idea of a mid engine rear drive using a 2.7T powerplant is becoming more realistic, as I've got the majority of the engine parts, and a great lead on a B5 quattro body to use for the project.

Now, the question is, what longitudinal transmission to use? I know there's a euro 6 speed available, but I doubt it'd be easy to purchase, and for a reasonable price, too. Other than that, I'm guessing a 2.8L AHA front track 5 speed, with S4 front driveshafts?

While we're on the topic, I'm considering using twin GT28R turbos. If anyone has any other theories or suggestions as to why these wouldn't work or why something else would be better, please, enlighten me. ;-)
Old 11-13-2004, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default didn't AWE ditch the T28's on Silverbullet's car since the oil flow to the turbos

wasn't sufficient?
Old 11-13-2004, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default usually oil flow to ball bearing turbos have to be cut back......and Mat does want ball bearings....

right?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Banned

Default Ball bearings would be a plus, yes.....

and the oil feeds will be restricted, most likely. This will be a one - off setup, now you've got me interested in putting oil pressure sensors in the feed lines. Too bad I couldn't measure flow, to see how much oil is going through there. Hmmmm....

I'll have to give AWE a ring in regards to thier turbo choices, and what led them to it.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im not an expert realy but.....

how much hp do you wnat to make?
a K04ed 2.7T in RS4 trim and tuning (i believe giac has tuning already for this setup) makes 430-450 hp and about 430 ft/lbs.

i would probably guess that like you said a front trak 2.8 5 speed would be easiest to find and work the best, as long as it were stong enough.

this concept kicks *** i realy hope to see it come to light, you are using a B5 A5 body? thatt deff be awesome, i assume the engine will sit where the back seat used to be? thatll be so easy to fab up headers and exhaust, so much room.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default but he's got the advantage of being about to relocate the turbos easily....

so why not be able to make any amount of hp only have the advantages of ball bearing turbos?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default With standalone EMS, no real limits on turbos or IC system......

I'm pondering a single water/air IC with it's own radiator up front, GT28R turbos, custom exhaust manifolds, 4 inch downpipes/exhaust......

I'd like to think I can hit 600 whp or close to it. My biggest concern I think, will be the suspension & braking. Since this will be the first of it's kind with an audi frame, the brake bias will be wacky, along with the suspension. I'll have to get it weighed, and then select spring rates accordingly.

I've got a lot of the unique stuff planned in my head already. For the trans, I've mentally designed a shift plate similar to the VW's & TT's cable system. For the turbo inlets, some side scoops similar to what's on the boxters, and the IC will sit directly behind the front seats, somehow. No A/C, fuel cell up front, coolant/ps/fuel lines/water-to-air lines will run in the center cavity where the center driveshaft used to be. I've ditched the idea of trying to mount the front subframe in the back, since the rear subframe will need to stay in place since the rear suspension mounts to it. Rather, I'll weld in new plates where the engine & trans mounts will attach to the rear subframe. Tailpipes......through the license plate area? How about one, HUGE, 6" tailpipe? Bwahahaha.....
Old 11-14-2004, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

contact me off list, I know what you need.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Banned

Default I know what I really need. A sponsor. ;-P I tried 3 times to email you.......

maybe email me. Something's not working on my end, I don't know.....
Old 11-15-2004, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I heard the Boxter uses an Audi Tranny

I dunno if it would work better, but a rear engine would also be fun.

Im not sure if they share the same engine bolt pattern.

I could be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Trans experts, opinions please.......