Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Transmission problem w/ modded TT-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem w/ modded TT-R

Hi all. I've got a problem w/ my TT roadster.
My TT has had a heavy dollar investment added to it w/ quite a list of mods and is to say the least quick. The problem is under heavy acceleration from 2nd gear shifting into 3rd the tranny locks up and the gears grind not allowing me into 3rd gear. I get a loud grinding and the engine races while in neutral. This happens most of the time when achieving fast acceleration off the line. I firmly engage the clutch and am shifting correctly.

I have read and been told by various tuners the stock tranny can withstand up to 800 HP. So I shouldn't have a problem?
Old 09-13-2001, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default The hp may not be your problem

Did you ever stop and think that your trans could just have a problem? So many people want to blame their mods first, and often, parts just break because they break.
Old 09-13-2001, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Maybe transmission movement...

just a theory, but perhaps during heavy acceleration, the engine/transmission are under the influence of a lot of torque and the transmission is moving out of alignment. For the S4, I know guys complain about transmission "rubber-banding" and use APR's engine snub mounts or the Audi Driveline Stabilizer to reduce the play in the transmission.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 3rd gear syncro is not working correctly

Sound like the 3rd gear syncro is sticking. That is not matching the gear speeds.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default stock trans rated at 800hp?

I doubt it. It's not the HP that kills a trans, it's the Torque. I would say it's rated for maybe 350-400 ft lbs of torque max.

Your problem sounds like a broken/worn synchro. If it is, it will get worse, eventually leading to loss of the gear, possibly even the trans.
BTDT - lost 2nd gear at 60K miles in my A4, and have replaced/rebuilt transmissions in other vehicles.

Are you saying you have the least quick TT? I don't think that's something to brag about
Old 09-13-2001, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Transmission problem w/ modded TT-R

Thanks fellas. I think it may be a synchro problem as well. Since I haven't f***ed w/ the tranny warranty should still be good. Will bring it in on next service visit. just hope they take a look at it and not give me the Bs tour.

BTW, HPA motorsports (Canada) messed w/ a VW Beetle good for 508 Horse power. It was written that it uses a TT transmission which was rated in Germany GmBh to be tested at 800 HP w/out a problem. They use this setup for the beetle,A3/S3 and TT models. The 1.8T is swapped w/ a VR6 engine.
Old 09-13-2001, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This happens to me quite a bit even with the TTR just chipped. I really do not like the clutch...

disengagement point as it is to low, screwing up my timing and most likely not disengaging the clutch fully, hence the trouble shifting to another gear. Shifting slower solves the problem, but I think as I did with the A4, I will fiddle with the clutch mechanism first to get the clutch disengagement point right where I want it, with enough dead play (engaged position) and enough travel on the disengage.