Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Tune up ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up ideas

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tweak my engine. I have a 98.5 that just passed 50k on the engine, I am thinking about new plugs and wires, LLTEK Intake and replacing all the fluids with redline oils/fluids, also want to replace the oil filter with a K&N Oil Filter. Has anyone had there timing and valves adjusted as far as getting tuned. Or have any other ideas ? Also waiting on the Autothority chip that is due out this month for my car so they say...Thanks

98.5 Silver 2.8 Quatro
Old 04-16-2001, 02:56 PM

don't forget your fuel filter
Old 04-16-2001, 05:27 PM

Default Re: don't forget your fuel filter

thanks.. any sugestions on vendor?
Old 04-16-2001, 06:42 PM

Default I recommend using OEM parts wherever possible (more)

Unless you have a specific need for a certain part to operate outside of the norm, I have always found that OEM parts work the best. And no, this is not an ad, nor do I work for Audi (or any of it's affiliates).

For example, just the other day an Audi owner who works a few suites down from me and I got into this same discussion. He told me about how he had once tried using a Fram oil filter. He said after a while, when he got it on the highway and accelerated, his oil light would come on (he has a late-model 5000 sedan). He pulled over and looked around under the hood, no problem found (oil level good, etc.) and of course the light had long since gone out. Eventually he put in an an Audi filter and the problem went away.

Same applies to things like spark plugs. I have done some experimenting and I always seem to have the best performance with plain old OEM plugs. I might make modifications that require a different heat range, but I would still use OEM. Now if there was some sort of problem with chipped 1.8Ts and stock plugs (which there is none that I know of with K03 cars) and it was found that an aftermarket plug solved the problem, or if there was an aftermarket plug that offered proven performance gains with no side effects, well now there may be a bona fide reason to use an aftermarket plug. I also have a few friends who are mechanics, and they ALL tell me stories of cars that come in running like crap that were fixed simply by replacing some aftermarket plugs the owner had installed with the standard OEM ones.

On the other hand, things like synthetic oil are known to provide a benefit in very-high-temperature conditions like those found in a K03/K04 turbo pumping out 1 BAR of boost. So I use Mobil 1 10W-30. I use 10W because I feel that the 10W variant can withstand the heat better than the 5W and 0W varieties (nothing to back this up with except the smoothness of the engine), and still flows just as well at the lower temperatures (it rarely gets below zero here in MD).

Now if I wanted to hear my bypass valve I might consider some intake modifications, even though there is no real performance gain here - the factory A4 intake is very efficient. For example, the APR Stage 3 kit uses the factory intake (albeit with a K&N panel filter I believe).

So, in closing , I guess I would recomend a Genuine Audi(tm) fuel filter for your Audi.

Paul
Old 04-16-2001, 07:03 PM

Default Re: I recommend using OEM parts wherever possible (more)

Thanks.. Just curious.. you are in MD.. you ever go up to "The Metro" on fridays or saturday night? I live in VA but go up there to check the other cars out and occasionally race..
Old 04-17-2001, 06:13 AM

Default Never heard of it..

Have I been living under a rock? )

Where is The Metro? I'll have to check this out...

Paul
Old 04-18-2001, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Never heard of it..

New Carrolton Metro station.. there are about 4 places people hop around there. Some race some dont. But there are a bunch of people that go. Not a lot of Euro Presence. But I go up there with Mine and my friends M3 so we represent.!
Old 04-18-2001, 10:43 AM

Default Ah! Ok, now I know exactly where you're talking about..

I used to work on Professional Pl. I remember seeing all the burnouts on the main road there that runs in front of the metro station.

But don't people have to worry about the cops shutting it down?

Paul
Old 04-18-2001, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Ah! Ok, now I know exactly where you're talking about..

Well... yeah.. sorta.. Cops come and people just bounce from place to place. As long as you dont get caught racing its ok...