Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Turbo theory question...1.8t related

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo theory question...1.8t related

OK... so the 1.8t comes stock with a low pressure kkk03 turbo... and people here replace it (along with a bunch of other stuff) with a pes kit (t-28) or apr stage 3. Great high end power but at the expense of low end grunt.

My Question: Is it possible to twin-turbo a 1.8t? One small one for low end and one huge momma for high end& passing power?
Old 02-13-2002, 04:51 PM
CMH

Default How there is just enough room in there for 1 turbo.

The idea of twin K03 or K04's were tossed around between turbo5 and EVO, they then decided it was going to be a big waste of tim.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:19 PM

Default anything is possible. I don't think there is enough exhaust gas to effectively implement

this idea. Much more realistic on a VR6. Adding a supercharger is another idea. People have coverted from turbo to supercharge, but a 1.8t+s could probably be done as well (Didn't larry sr.'s SC sit on the driver side of the engine bay?)

Obviously it would need custom engine management and a lot of hard work.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:43 PM

but twin identical size wont do what Im talking... I'm talkin two different to spread out the power.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:54 PM

i asked this a while ago...haven't heard much. but yeah, its a good idea.....
Old 02-13-2002, 08:55 PM

Default I would think a variable vane would be a more viable alternative to two.

That said .. (and please correct me if I am wrong about the PES kit Mike) the two kits you spoke of may develope the meat of the boost (and therefore HP/Tq) at higher RPMs but they make about the same HP and TQ at ~2200 rpm as the K03 w/ chip.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VVTs don't work in a gas engine...

...EGTs are too high.

Mike O.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:58 AM
CMH

Default But there is still not enough room to do that and have you driving a car that works that way.

Very hard to drive on the streets.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:13 AM

Default different sizes wont work, think about it...

1) If the mainfold is a 4 to 2(2 turbo flanges, 4 runners) The exhuast will flow to the smaller turbo cuz its easier to spin, the at higher revs it should still try to spool the smaller because of its wheels mass(corrrect me if Im wrong, all I know is no twin turbo car AFAIK has different size turbos and last I heard its mess things up, which is why no one does it)

2) If the manifolds(2) are 2 to 1(1 flange, 2 runners) then the engine wil have to work that much harder to push the offset turbo, wacky stuff would probably happen. This is the way to twin turbo though, use 2 small turbos and have them spool parrel, could do sequential(like rx7's Supras etc)but thats a engineering nightmare toi correctly set up(trust me)

that and I dont know of two turbos you could get that would spool faster than a k03(cuz 2 k03s will lag worse than a t28/S3/and prolly a t3/t4(depending on trim)

Serisously call up a good turbo shop and talk to the builder/owner/salesrep andyone, they *should* get you a trubo that will make the power you want and the spool charectistics that will closely match your desire.

at the bottom is a local(Waco,Tx) company that makes turbos, they are pretty well know in the turbo community, go pick up some import/SCC/and other mags and they sometimes run ads in the back.

rant off, time to go get lunch<ul><li><a href="http://www.majesticturbo.com/">http://www.majesticturbo.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 02-14-2002, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Corky Bell used aerodyne's in Miatas though.

Though recently I heard he's no longer selling that kit for reliability issues. maybe that's why.

Quick Reply: Turbo theory question...1.8t related