Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

A Turbonetics T3/T4 to my A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Turbonetics T3/T4 to my A4 1.8T

I am thinkig about installing T3/T4 turbo charger in my A4 1.8T quattro.
Does anybody know- will it fit to my engine (there is not much space for such a big charger)
And another question- has anybody done it before?- How it works? How many Hp to gain, and what pressure should this T3/T4 work?
I know I also need to buy:
-manifold- ATP
-injectors- Bosh 475 cc
-Turbonetics Deltagte wastegate-(wchih spring shall I chose-- 3,5,7,9 Psi?)
-Fuel riser- Cartech
and chip- will be done thanks to my friends.

Thanks for answers!
Old 09-19-2002, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just put mine on about a month ago. Here's what I have to say.

1 - Search back for a few of my threads, there's pictures.

2 - If someone came to me & offered me money to install this kit on thier car, I most likely wouldn't do it. It is dependant on the owner of the car to be mechanically inclined enough to fabricate several things. Have fun with the intake!

3 - I'm working on making mine street legal, but currently won't pass. Check local laws, unless you're just making a track car.

4 - Get an a/m clutch. I have a brand new stock clutch, & with in the first 200 miles I can feel it slip under full boost, first & second gear.

5 - Plan on your car being down for a month or so. You'll have to order different things, have things made, etc. It takes some time, hopefully everyone will work for you!

6 - Get a front mount intercooler from ATP with the turbo kit. It's the best place, price, and they have them in stock. I tried two different places, over a total of 5 1/2 months, still didn't get one. Ordered the ATP on Monday, it'll be here today or tomorrow.

That's jsut off the top of my head. HP gains stand to be at least 100+ over stock, easily tuneable to get more.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:34 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well said, a few more things...

Quote"I am thinkig about installing T3/T4 turbo charger in my A4 1.8T quattro.
Does anybody know- will it fit to my engine (there is not much space for such a big charger)"

1. Is it a DBW? If it is don't bother, wait until someone comes out w/ a kit. DBW is more difficult to tune. Sure it will fit, depending on the manifold, it will have more room to do the intake pipe from the turbo inlet. I have a Turbonetics manifold and had to do some miracles to get a decent intake there (custom).

Quote"And another question- has anybody done it before?- How it works? How many Hp to gain, and what pressure should this T3/T4 work?"

2. There are few people running a T3/T4. HP is going to vary with tuning abilities.

Quote"I know I also need to buy:
-manifold- ATP
-injectors- Bosh 475 cc
-Turbonetics Deltagte wastegate-(wchih spring shall I chose-- 3,5,7,9 Psi?)
-Fuel riser- Cartech
and chip- will be done thanks to my friends. "

3. From what I hear, Tial wastegate is the best one in the market now. Everything else is going to come down on the chip. If you have access to a dyno and someone who knows how to tune properly, you should not have a problem. Do some search before making your decision though. I don't think there's anyone running a T3/T4 100% tuned.

Good luck

Mau
Old 09-19-2002, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah. Get the Tial wastegate. I got the 35mm, & I also need a dump tube......

Mau, do you have your system running a bypass valve or blow off? Mine idles very rich, & the blow off valve is blowing pretty hard! I think with a bypass setup it might be better. Right now I think the rich idle is causing other running problems.

As far as the intake, I'm gonna get mine set up different. Gonna get a catch can for the pcv oil, eliminate the purge line to the intake side of the turbo, run that intake straight down off the turbo & set it up with a bypass system. We'll see how that does.....

Neverending saga......of tuning the T3/T4E.....
Old 09-19-2002, 11:27 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Yeah. Get the Tial wastegate. I got the 35mm, & I also need a dump tube......

I had a Turbo-XS BOV and it ran like $hit. It would leak at part throttle, bad experience with it. I redid the intake and connected a Bosch BPV. It is running much better now, a catch can would a good idea too. Check out my picture poster.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Well said, a few more things...

Eeee.. my english seems to be a bit poor... What's DBV then?
Old 09-19-2002, 03:01 PM

DBW....drive by wire. started in 2000
Old 09-19-2002, 03:10 PM

Default Re: I just put mine on about a month ago. Here's what I have to say.

2 Intake thing is a really pissing me off (sorry)I have no idea how to deal with it... any ideas ?
3 Poland= NO PROBLEM!!!:-)
4 again Poland= No problem I got one called ceramic/metal cluth. One guy just did it for me. cost= 100$, fitting= 120$. runs perfectly on my 240 hp engine!
5 Thats true i also was thinking about a month or more...SIC!
6 I am thinking about S2 intercooler- it cost only 100$- and seems to be beter than those made by ATP.
7 Well I was thinking of 200 hp more... I acctualy do have 240 hp and its certainly not enough. My target amount is 350- 400 crank hp.

The biggest problem is whwere shall I find a cooling pipes, oil feding and return line apprioprate for such a modiffication.
Air connections seems not to be a problem.... Hm just for now...
And do You have any pictures showing how it looks (T3/T4) in Your engine compartment? You know I got to have any idea how to fit this in...-
Old 09-19-2002, 03:24 PM

Default Some facts' bout my car

I should have told this before.
My car is not just an ordinnary A4.
This car was produced in 95 and tuned in AZK in germany.
For a very beggining was prepared for race.
Thats why has a:
- bigger turbocharger (only seven were made)at 0,85 bar the car gains 240 hp and 310 torque,
- special manifold made to fit this extraordinary charger
-MTM chip
-3" Tot. free flow exhaust- no cat.
-Modified inlet manifold
-engine bored to two liters capacity
-forged tie rods and pistons
- koni suspension and specific race 17" OZ wheels

You will probably ask why to destroy all of this and try to get more?
Because manifold is cracked and cannot be welded!
And because turbo is damaged and nobady can repaire it, even KKK sport deparatanment in England.
I know that swapping S4 engine will cost me just about 20% more than that T3/T4 idea....
But I just dont want to resign from that fantasically prepared engine I do have now.....
Old 09-19-2002, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default T3/T4 why bother

Just get the latest Tech GT series Turbo.

T3/T4 ha... I can run quicker times with a smaller gt turbo than one of those dinosaurs.

Quick Reply: A Turbonetics T3/T4 to my A4 1.8T