Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Valentine One, Bel 980 Or Passport 8500?? Any comments??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine One, Bel 980 Or Passport 8500?? Any comments??

I used an older Valentine One and liked it, but now it is time for a new one and after not using radar for the past couple of years, I was looking for some comments on which you guys like.

Atreyos
Old 12-19-2000, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Valentine One, Bel 980 Or Passport 8500?? Any comments??

There is absolutely NO comparison to the V1..
More expensive perhaps...but it has saved my *** so many times both in cars and on motorcycles I would never waste my money on anything else.
Old 12-19-2000, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Valentine One

there was a website recently that rated the other 2 RD's higher than the V1.

but the funny thing was that they were SELLING the other two and V1 can only be bought factory-direct.

hmmmmm

ulterior motives?........Nah!!
Old 12-20-2000, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V1 -- NOTHING else will do.
Old 12-20-2000, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not going to start more debate...

There was extensive discussion about this Radartest.com article over on the A4 forum about a week ago, go look for it.

And as far as them selling detectors, please don't spread inaccurate information. They do not sell these detectors on their website. This is a direct quote from their "About Us" page:

<i>"Our sole objective is to serve as a clearinghouse for information about radar detectors, electronic speed-measuring technology and countermeasures. Instead of relying on mindless puffery from retailers and manufacturers, check us out to get the real low-down on what works and what doesn't. <b>We do not sell radar detectors nor do we solicit or accept gratuities from manufacturers.</b> Our staff members are driving enthusiasts, racers, veterans of flat-out coast-to-coast Cannonball Runs and heartfelt proponents of the New Hampshire state motto: Live Free or Die.</i>"

There is a guy on the A4 forum who has a V1, he has ordered the 8500 and is going to do his own, personal test to determine which one is seemingly better. So instead of arguing over the accuracy of this website's information, wait for the AWer to post his findings.
Old 12-20-2000, 07:11 AM
Val

Default Don't toe the party line

I have a new 8500 and it is great. It will catch an idling! police car radar coming at me more than a mile away. It is also small and functional. The V1 is good, no doubts about it, but the good reviews in Car and Driver are now very old, and technology keeps improving. The new BEL 980 seems to have the same chip as the 8500, because both perform almost identically according to radartest.com.
Old 12-21-2000, 04:45 AM

hahahaha that was me that started the debate...bad mistake to post that..
Old 12-21-2000, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Valentine One, Bel 980 Or Passport 8500?? Any comments??

I have the V1 and it is much better than my friends passport. Well worth the money in my opinion. And it is always having software upgrades so it is up to date.
In informal tests I will pick up the cops before him and with the direction finder I know where it is from as well. That feature itself makes it better than the passport. The only thing better on the passport is the ability to read radar signature wavelenght numbers so that you can tell when a new wavelenght might be in the same spot as a walgreens door opener.

Steve
97 Acura Integra GSR Supercharged
Looking for my first A4 (used 2.8QM hopefully)
Old 12-21-2000, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From the A4 Forum .. 8500 vs. V1 "AWer Comparision Results!"

<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m.new/a4/msgs/393802.phtml">A4 Forum Thread</a></li></ul>
Old 02-26-2001, 12:34 PM

Default Re: I'm not going to start more debate...

I own both a 99 Val 1 and the new Passport. Yes, it's true that the Passport is quite a bit better at both Ka detection and filtering out falses as has been stated in profession reviews. And unlike some other idiots who have done testing and posted results to this board, I did not test the two detectors side by side and actually know a thing or two about basic radar technology like how DSP works.

Quick Reply: Valentine One, Bel 980 Or Passport 8500?? Any comments??