Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Warranty and Mods??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty and Mods??

Hi all,

I have an A4-2008 2.0T Quattro (s-line). The car came with an awesome 6yr/100000 mile warranty. I love the ride, but would also like to boost performance a bit. Are there any mods at all that Audi authorizes so as to not void the warranty? If you could let me know what works please do. Agian, the stock car rides great, but i cant help but think how much more fun it would be with a few more horses...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check APR with their stock program and security lockout...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a gray area. A few tips:

Become friendly with your dealer technical staff. I mean everybody, techs, your service writer, and especially your service manager. Bring them gifts every now and then (i'm not kidding).

If there is a major failure, that is attributable to some mod you did, audi won't cover. Now that's ok, problem is there is a lot of room for interpretation. If the dealer likes you, they will go to bat for you.

Next, if you are reflashing ECU, reset flash counter to zero, or one, or whatever it was before you did tune. This can be done on ME 7 ecus; not sure if it can be done on new MED 9 (forgot what your car has).

So for example, if you reflash ecu and the motor mount fails, chances are its ok, unrelated things. But if you reflash the ecu, audi finds out, and your turbos fail, it may not be covered.

Again, if you are cool with the dealer, the higher chances everyone will be fair to you.

Finally, tip the scales in your favor, Audi uses a MATRIX to calculate "goodwill" and loyalty contributions. Things you can do to help:

Buy car at audi dealer
Service it at same audi dealer
Have two or more "complaints" on file (yes, this actually helps!)
No non warranty service at dealer
If you're ever mad, don't be so mad that it seems you can't be "completely satisfied with the outcome offered". They are actually taught to give up on customers that can't be won over.