Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Weird sound coming from exhaust

Old 12-03-2000, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound coming from exhaust

Earlier this week I had new suspension (bilstein/eibach) and exhaust (2.5" neuspeed v2) installed at DSR. The exhaust has been making a weird sound and I wanted to see if any other owners had noticed it. Maybe it is supposed to sound like this and I will have to deal?

First lap I made with the car (around the block of course) sounded like something was grinding. Like the clutch was bouncing or something. I brought it back to DSR and took Dick for a lap. It sounded a little different, he thought it might be an exhaust leak. He lifted it, checked the exhaust, tightened it, and ran it around the block again. He and the installer made a few more laps, each time lifting it and checking it. Originally the fitment was bad and the exhaust was banging, after the runs they had it tightened good.

The sound is still there, albeit a little different. Around when the turbo kicks in, and 99% only under WOT, there is a raspy sound. Dick described it as the sand blaster sound the s4 sometimes has. I took an S4 driver around and he said it does not sound like that. It sounds like a raspy, medium-high pitched leak? The sound seems to be coming from the rear of the car?

Any of neuspeed/borla owners hear this sound? I guess I have 3 choices. 1) live with it, 2) break it in and see if it goes away (has to some small extent or I am getting used to it) 3) warranty it. I am planning to do 2 then 3 right now. Anyone have some advice?

-fuqd
Old 12-03-2000, 11:58 PM

Same sound from my Borla and no, it won't go away. I'm more or less used to it now.
Old 12-05-2000, 03:15 PM

I am hearing it less and less, just wanted to make sure it is normal.