Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

What brake pads ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What brake pads ?

edit delete
I'm just looking for the new set of front brake pads. I've been using EBC Greens, but they warped my OE rotors really fast.

I was wandering what would you recommend ? I have Brembo Sport rotors at 175USD/each (not installed yet).
Old 10-20-2002, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know the Green Stuff is what caused the warping?

And, are you sure the rotors are warped? It's not really the pads that cause the rotors to warp. Perhaps the lug bolts are not properly torqued. This can easily cause warping.

You may have gotten the Green Stuff too hot and deposited pad material onto the rotor. This will cause a sensation much like a warped rotor.

An agressive pad may cause scoring and extra wear on the rotors. The EBC Greenstuff are about the most rotor-friendly pads available.

Are you using these on the track? If so, I would recommend using something like EBC Red Stuff, Mintex C-Tech, Porterfield R4 or some other racing-compound pad.

For the street, Mintex Red Box, EBC Green Stuff, Porterfield R4-S are all good pads.

Hope that helps,

PeteH
Old 10-20-2002, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just guessing...

During braking, you can feel those vibrations on a steering wheel. I checked the wheels - they are not bended.

I think that Greens cooked my rotors. Even at normal strret use, the rotors were constantly blue - sign of overheating.

And no, I don't go to auto cross.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:06 PM
No Bozos!

Default Brake pads themselves aren't going to warp rotors

Heat is what warps rotors.

If your calipers are stuck then they may be grabbing too much, too long.

After that it's application of the brakes that does it.

Never used Green's don't know if they're good or bad.
Old 10-20-2002, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's what warps rotors and how to avoid it...

...from people that do brakes for a living.<ul><li><a href="http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm">The myth about warped rotors.</a></li></ul>
Old 10-20-2002, 06:50 PM
JWG

Default EBC's require high quality/high heat rotors; Go to Mintex Red box . . .

EBC's kevlar pads work really great. I had a set and I felt like I had upgraded calipers. However, no matter how well I broke-in the pads and rotors (I tried several times), I would get hot spots. Basically, the ATE rotors with the eliptical slots created a lot more friction, even more than just having the high heat kevlar pads, and I could not avoid "warping" i.e., hot spots.

If you want to run EBC pads, upgrade your rotors to a higher quality rotor that can handle the greater temperatures generated by the kevlar pads.

If you want to keep your rotors, get Mintex Red Box, they work pretty good, not as good as EBC greens, but they will stop your car without over heating the rotors.