Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

what could have cause lifters to fail on a 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what could have cause lifters to fail on a 1.8T?

Ok... the shop came back to tell me the lifters for cylinder 1 are bad. They haven't had a chance to look for the cause yet, but I figured I'd throw this out to AW and see how much more damage I could be facing for my 1.8T engine.

thanks,
Cris
Old 06-22-2004, 08:26 PM
JWG

Default No RPM limiter--the OEM lifters can handle only the stock RPMs . . .

If you have a chip that eliminates or raises the RPM limit and exceeded the OEM Redline. You could easily kill your lifters. You can get lighter, high-performance lifters that will allow you to rev to 7000+ RPM.

Alternatively, you could have an oil pressure problem. No oil in and around the lifters, and you can expect them to die.

By the way, if the lifters had problems, you should have heard a problem. How did your mechanic determine the lifters failed?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Elder Member

Default Neve heard of any tuner removing the soft or hard limiter on a 1.8t.

The 1.8t can rev much higher then 7K on the stock parts. The bad thing is if you rev the car without any load or while out of gear you can go right past the rev limiters.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Stock lifters good to 8100 rpm! where did you get the 7000rpm info?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default lifter noise and the full story...

here is the full story - my turbo (K04) went out during a track session at one of the DEs - never went into redline. Basically, the boost gauge showed some erratic boost readings @ WOT (peaking only to 5psi or 10psi or normal 15psi) before it went poof in the middle of a straight (0 psi). After pulling into the paddock, I noticed oil leak from the turbo itself - a drip every few seconds while the engine is running. That was all well and good. When I try to drive the car home (thinking I could just drive the car home in NA "mode"), the engine hesitated (possibly misfired?) about 1/2 mile from the track, CEL and went rough idle for a few seconds. Then the engine started making lifter noise and shakes abit - but not before the hesitation/misfire. The car never stalled or died. It kept running. There was no telltale sign of smoke or burning smell from the engine bay - when the turbo gave or later when the car hesitated.

Does it sounds like there could be a blockage in the oil line?

Car has 91k miles on it. The K04 has/had 76k miles. The oil leak was determined to be a bad washer on the oil to turbo line - failed over time?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Elder Member

Default At that level the valves start to float.

Which equals bad things.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you had an oil leak and you still drove the car...

then most likely your cams and lifters were starved of oil and that's probably why your lifter wore out.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default agreed, but there is oil (full) in the oil pan...

the leak was specific to the turbo... and the dipstick still shows "full" in the oil pan after the ticking started. So, it's not the lack of oil in the system, but perhaps the feed to the lifters? Maybe lost of pressure somewhere?

I dunno how the oil circulation works on the engine. Someone told me oil to the 1.8T engine and the turbo are fed off 2 independent lines.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It doesn't matter where the leak is in the oil circulation system but as long as one exists the oil

pressure and circulation to the rest of the parts should drop. At least this is what makes sense to me but there might be other reasons involved in your case. I doubt that oil pathways in your engine block are clogged. You might want to ask your mechanic if it's wise to change your oil pump and chain just in case it is part of the problem.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo. Cookie for PanTTher. What he said.

Quick Reply: what could have cause lifters to fail on a 1.8T?